The Beantown Buzz: Marchand extension sets Bruins up for success

Brad Marchand signed an eight-year contract extension with the Bruins on Monday. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Brad Marchand is here to stay, and Bruins fans have a new poster boy for their franchise.

The 28-year-old forward signed a contract extension Monday morning with the Boston Bruins for eight years worth $49 million.

The Bruins’ front office has been tagged with harsh criticism the last few seasons for giving some very average players questionable contract extensions. However, this deal on the surface looks like a home run for the Bruins. Not only are they keeping one of the team’s best players on the roster for the remainder of his prime, they also will not be compromised financially when signing other big-name players.

All deals in the NHL are relative and impacted by the current market value; a bad trade in the NHL can limit a team’s future moves with a hard cap limit. Over the last few seasons, front offices all across the league have overpaid countless superstars in both years and money.

Although eight years is a lot, the Bruins are getting a bargain while only taking a $6.125 million cap hit per year. Will Marchand be a $6 million type of player when he is 36 years old? No, probably not. But that isn’t the point.

In the NHL, if you want a franchise player you will have to overpay in some capacity. The Bruins chose to have his contract extended longer than it probably should be, but with a player like Marchand, it is the right move. When you consider how brutal some of thwe recent signings and trades have been for the Bruins, this is the right move at the right time.

In the last eight years the Bruins have traded some big-name players and have lost out big time. Phil Kessel and Tyler Seguin have both turned into stars in the league, while the Bruins received next to nothing in return for the forwards. They shipped off American all-star Blake Wheeler as well as young, star defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

Recently, Cam Neely and the Bruins management team signed Kevan Miller and Adam McQuaid to four-year deals, which has put the Bruins in a tough spot in terms of open roster space.

As much of a blunder as those moves were, this Marchand deal could really turn things around for the future. If nothing else, it is a great move to keep one of its best players in a deal that is not financially arduous.

Marchand has one year remaining on his existing contract, and he will make $5 million this season and will be a free agent in 2025. There is a no movement clause for Marchand through 2021, meaning the Canadian winger is guaranteed to be wearing the black and gold for at least six more years.

Marchand’s talent really shined through last season, leading the team with 37 goals. But the Canadian forward is most loved in Boston for his feisty nature and instigator mentality in the offensive zone. His relentless work ethic paired with his crafty hands and finishing ability is arguably unparalleled in the league.

The Bruins intelligently orchestrated this extension before Marchand could hit free agency next summer. Free agents in the NHL always hold the power and he could have demanded upwards of $8 million. There are very few players, if any, that have recently received contracts that are better than Marchand and make less than $6.1 million. Veteran center Jason Spezza for the Stars makes $7.5 million.

Marchand now joins Patrice Bergeron as the poster boys for the Boston Bruins, and with their talent alone the team should be competitive for at least the next half-dozen seasons. Locking up star players is key, especially for a team going through a slight rebuild after missing the playoffs on the last day of the season the past two seasons.

Bergeron signed his own eight-year deal in 2013, and the dynamic pairing is reason enough to trust that the Bruins can get back a consistent playoff team in years to come.