More than 100 students attend presidential debate viewing party, hope to be informed

debateedit_wikimediacommnonsWhat is better than free chicken fingers from Raising Cane’s? Try adding a presidential debate viewing party to the mix — that might be what more than 100 Boston University students had to say when they gathered Monday evening to watch the first of three presidential debates between Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican nominee Donald Trump.

The viewing party in the auditorium of the Stone Science Building was hosted through a partnership between Fox News and Common Sense Action at BU, a bipartisan student organization committed to engaging young people in the political process.

“We’re really big on engaging millennials back into the conversation of politics,” CSA Vice President Kelsie Merrick said. “Fox News actually reached out to us, which was just a great combination of the two.”

The junior in the College of Arts and Sciences said that reaching out to millennials is an imperative part of every election, especially in a close presidential race.

“Young voters are always the least to show up,” Merrick said. “Everyone needs to become more educated so they know what policies are being talked about, how they’re going to be implemented, how they’re going to affect our lives.”

As students gathered ready to watch the debate, some of them picked up flyers that featured information for the Fox News College Associate Program, a paid internship experience for college students interested in journalism, digital media and business.

Alongside the flyers was a petition from Fair Shot For All, a bipartisan grassroots organization focused on debt-free college and paid family leave. By signing the Fair Shot For All petition, students expressed their support for debt-free community college.

At the beginning of the debate, the audience gave their attention to the presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton. Students laughed, booed, clapped and cheered as the candidates answered questions and offered rebuttals.

“It was very entertaining,” said Aaron Whitaker, a CAS senior. “Both candidates showed points of strength and weakness, [and] it’s definitely going to be a close race.”

The audience whooped and applauded when Trump again refused to release his tax returns and invoked Clinton’s email scandal.

“I will release my tax returns … when she releases her 33,000 e-mails,” Trump said during the debate.

When Clinton addressed the issue of racial profiling among U.S. law enforcement, a silence filled the room.

“Everyone should be respected by the law, and everyone should respect the law,” Clinton said during the debate. “Right now that’s not the case in a lot of our neighborhoods.”

Ben Cootner, a senior in the College of Engineering, said he attended the presidential viewing party because he is now eligible to vote, and he wanted more information.

“After watching all of [the debates], I’ll definitely be able to make a more informed decision,” Cootner said. “But after tonight’s debate, I will say that I am currently undecided on who to vote for.”

Emilia Kuentz, a sophomore in the College of Communication, said she was a former intern on Sen. Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign, and her experience there will definitely influenced her vote.

“I’m voting for Hillary,” she said. “I don’t think that’s going to change, ever. And [the debate] just solidified my position … I hope that people vote for Hillary to vote for women, minorities, people with disabilities, people that Donald Trump doesn’t respect. And they deserve respect.”