Brookline Avenue Bridge to be renamed to “Big Papi” David Ortiz Bridge

Red Sox fans cross the Brookline Avenue Bridge after David Ortiz’s final regular season game at Fenway Park Sunday. PHOTO BY CAROLYN KOMATSOULIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS CONTRIBUTOR

The Brookline Avenue Bridge is set to be renamed as “Big Papi” David Ortiz Bridge in honor of baseball player David Ortiz, in recognition of his accomplishments as a player for the Boston Red Sox and his charitable works in Boston, according to a Thursday press release.

The plan to rename the bridge, which is adjacent to Fenway Park and crosses over the Mass Pike, resulted from a joint plan between the Massachusetts House of Representatives, Senate, governor’s office and the House Committee on Ways and Means, the release stated.

Among Ortiz’s merits recognized in the legislation are his accomplishments as a Red Sox member for 14 seasons, his aiding of pediatric services to both New England and Dominican Republic children and his contributions following the Boston Marathon Bombing, according to the release.

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said in the release that Ortiz’s contributions and accomplishments “made him a living legend.”

“His heartfelt contributions to the communities here and in his native Dominican Republic have made him an icon,” Baker said in the release. “As a lifelong Red Sox fan, I am thrilled to be able to help our Commonwealth create a lasting ‘Thank You’ to Big Papi through the renaming of this bridge.”

Peter Wilson, a spokesperson for Senate President Stanley Rosenberg, said the bridge will be renamed after the plan is passed by Senate. The street that connects Yawkey Station to Fenway Park will also be renamed David Ortiz Drive.

“He gave a lot for people … the chance to heal,” Wilson said.

House Speaker Robert DeLeo said in the that release Ortiz is “an extraordinary baseball player” who has been exemplary in his charitable works.

“I’m so excited to be part of this process of giving David Ortiz, one of the greatest Red Sox of all time, his proper due by naming a bridge in his honor,” DeLeo said in the release. “As a fan, I will miss his stride up to the plate followed by a clutch hit and the ballpark exploding into applause.”

Ortiz has been the “pride of Boston” both on and off the field, Rosenberg said in the release.

“I am proud that we can honor him by naming this bridge after him so his legacy can live on after his playing days have ended,” Rosenberg said.

House Committee on Ways and Means Chairman Brian Dempsey said in the release he is proud that the Commonwealth can commemorate Ortiz’s works following his retirement.

“Whether it be his clutch curse breaking hits on the diamond,” Dempsey said in the release,” his now legendary speech to rally the spirits of this city in the aftermath of the Marathon Bombing, or his prodigious charity work, ‘Papi’ has left a lasting impact.”

Boston residents said they support the bridge and street’s renaming after Ortiz, as it would instill memories of Ortiz’s works in the city.

Louie Paparella, 36, of South Boston, said the renaming signifies the magnitude of Ortiz’s accomplishments.

“The state of Massachusetts made a noble and honorable gesture by immediately naming a bridge after Big Papi,” he said. “Normally, it would take many years or even after the life for a highly used street, tunnel, bridge, thruway to be named after one.”

Bas Janssen, 22, of Back Bay, said Ortiz has enlivened the area surrounding Fenway Park and has a lasting impact on the city.

“He keeps the streets of Boylston and [Massachusetts Avenue] very busy on game day,” he said. “Red Sox is a big part of Boston history as well as American, and if he really made as big an impact as it seems, he should have a mark on this city.”

Erica LeBlanc, 24, of North End, said Ortiz has contributed to the team’s current shape.

“It’s a way to keep Big Papi a part of every game, which is something fans definitely need,” she said. “It’s great that future fans will be able to have Papi be a part of their Red Sox experience, even if they never get to see him play.”