Midfielders shine in women’s soccer’s victory over Lafayette

Jessie Shreck scored her second goal of the year in the seventh minute. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s soccer team finally found some offensive success in a 3-0 win against Lafayette College on Saturday. The Terriers (4-10, 4-1 Patriot League) dominated play against the Leopards (4-5-3, 1-3-1 Patriot League) in their fourth consecutive win. 

Once again, senior goalkeeper Bridget Conway and her junior counterpart, Hannah Ciolek, split the game in net. Both made phenomenal saves to combine for the team’s fourth straight shutout.

They had a lot of help from a strong defensive effort, but ultimately the midfielders were the stars of the show on Saturday. They were aggressive in attacking Lafayette players, won battles and created opportunities. 

Junior midfielder Jesse Shreck struck first for the Terriers in the seventh minute after a great cross pass from sophomore forward McKenna Doyle. Shreck was the first Terrier to score two goals this season, but that soon changed.

Just over 15 minutes into the first half, Shreck attempted to slide into a rebound but missed. Graduate student midfielder Rachel Blauner was right behind her, though, and scored her second of the season to double BU’s lead. 

Doyle was the one forward to find net. She sent the ball past Lafayette goalkeeper Danielle Sedillo with a gentle touch 30 minutes into the contest.

Shreck, who was named Patriot League Midfielder of the Week last Monday, led the team with five shots. She echoed the sentiment that the midfielders played tall this weekend.

“We really have been stepping up game by game winning every ball, trying to find each other a lot, using the width,” Shreck said. 

The Lido Beach, New York resident has come into her own this season and started 12 of 14 games. Feldman referred to Shreck as a maestro and said that she is becoming a core player. 

“She is on her way there,” Feldman said. “Hasn’t arrived yet, but she’s on her way there. You can see her brilliance and her creativity in attack. Her timing is very good in her own movements to get into the box. Every day she’s getting better and we need her to.”

Blauner, the most recent Patriot League Defender of the Week, has also been a strong presence on the field as of late. Feldman described her as a strong, attacking personality. 

“She’s a player I’m sure that’s on the other team’s scouting report,” Feldman said. “She’s so active and mobile and energetic.”

With a solid three-goal lead, Feldman had the opportunity to put in players who don’t typically see playing time. With 13 minutes left in the match, she subbed in a number of fresh faces, including midfielder Chloee Sagmoe, who Feldman said had a great game. It was the freshman’s first action of the season.

Feldman was most impressed with sophomore midfielders Julianna Chen and Dorrie Varley-Barrett, though. She feels that they are the reason for the team’s success in the middle ground. 

Though the duo is young, they have a lot of experience from the 2015 campaign. Varley-Barrett started 15 games and Chen started 19 games in their freshman seasons. Midfielders don’t typically show up on the stat sheets, but these Terriers are making a name for themselves in the Patriot League.

“They are just really steady, solid and consistent and confident,” Feldman said. “That’s really important for us moving forward because if you can stabilize that part of the field, a lot of other stuff that’s linked to it — they’re the linkers. They’re connected to the back line and they’re connected to the forward line. It just is secure and it’s steady and it’s consistent, and I think those two gals in particular are two that are raising their game right now.”