Beantown Buzz: It’s over — nothing deflated

Tom Brady made his triumphant return to the NFL on Sunday in Cleveland, Ohio. PHOTO COURTESY KEITH ALLISON/ FLICKR

The Patriots’ thrashing of the Cleveland Browns 33-13 on Sunday closes the book on the most entertaining chapter of the Brady-Belichick era.

Deflategate started 88 weeks ago, and it is refreshing to finally say goodbye to the exhausting drama that engulfed the Boston faithful. The stress is unquestioned, but despite all of the NFL rulings and endless court visits, the Patriots came out on top.

For the last 617 days the positives should not be overlooked.  They became Super Bowl Champions, Jimmy Garappolo proved his worth for the future, Brady is showing no signs of aging and the NFL’s governing body is under unparalleled criticism.   

Although losing a first round pick in the process hurts, going 3-1 without Brady and sharing the best record in the AFC through five weeks is far from a sufferable position.

The ultra-competitive Brady doesn’t need more incentive, but Deflategate seemingly put a little fire underneath No. 12’s feet. Brady was practically perfect in his return on Sunday, going 28-40 for 406 yards and three touchdowns in the effortless victory in Cleveland.

Stats only tell part of the story, but it’s hard to remember a regular season game where Brady has looked as sharp. Not only were there no setbacks for the offense, but also the ageless veteran seemed to get better this offseason.

“I feel better now at 39 than I did when I was 29,” said Brady following Sunday’s victory.

Most of what professional athletes tell the media is a bunch of smoke up the tailpipe, but there might be some validity to what he said in Cleveland. Brady definitely looks just as motivated now as he did in his late 20s.

Brady was eager to test out his new weapons Chris Hogan and Martellus Bennett, who were both acquired in the offseason. The two newcomers saw an increase in production with Brady under center, combining for 10 catches, 181 yards and three touchdowns.

Rob Gronkowski was a full-go Sunday as well, breaking out two long plays to catch for over 100 yards on the day. The combination of Gronk and Bennett are a matchup nightmare for defenses, allowing for a lot of one-on-one coverage, opening up for secondary options such as Julian Edelman and Chris Hogan.

Brady had all day back in the pocket to find targets, and after the game emphatically praised the offensive line. Critics wondered if there would be any rust, but those doubters were quickly silenced by an opening drive touchdown.

Brady was replaced by Garoppolo during garbage time at the end of the fourth quarter. Garoppolo’s AC Joint seems to be healing just fine, and arguably the best backup quarterback in the league is going to be a hot commodity this offseason. The Patriots have a tough decision to make, and it could be the defining moment for the future of this franchise.

The third-year quarterback’s contract ends after next season, and if they don’t trade him in the meantime, the Patriots will be forced to pay up if they want to keep him in New England. Unfortunately, the team needs to decide by the end of this year, because if they aren’t going to sign him, the team will trade him this offseason to maximize his value.

Keeping the backup is the preferred route, but the decision all hinges on Brady’s longevity — the future Hall of Famer is under contract through the 2019 season. This decision is a luxury for any NFL team, and presumably the Patriots won’t squander the opportunity.

Brady’s return Sunday is a reminder of how lethal this offense is with him on the field. More importantly, Brady’s presence pretty much guarantees the Patriots a fighting chance to contend for the Super Bowl every year.

Unlike the past few seasons, the Patriots will be tested during the regular season with trips to Denver and Pittsburgh as well as a home matchup with the Seahawks. These regular season tests, combined with how fresh Brady will be, make the Pats Super Bowl favorites.

Anything short of a trip to Houston for Super Bowl 51 would be a failed season for this spoiled fan base. Deflategate, seemingly, made this team better.