Students explore unexpected privilege through privilege walk

During a privilege walk Tuesday night in the SAC Gym, students stand along the baseline in the gym, close their eyes and step forward when certain aspects of privilege apply to them. PHOTO BY NATALIE CARROLL/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Approximately 50 students gathered in the SAC Gym Tuesday evening to explore the privileges that they are not aware of through a “privilege walk.”

The Unpacking Privilege activity, hosted by chapters of the BU India Club, Iota Nu Delta Fraternity, Inc.’s BU chapter, the Islamic Society of BU, UMOJA: BU’s Black Student Union and Alianza Latina BU, aimed to promote further discussion and reflection about students’ individual privileges.

Luis Castro, president of Alianza Latina BU, said the goal of the privilege walk was to better inform students about their privilege.

“The event was basically trying to get BU students to realize the privilege that they do have in their own lives,” Castro, a junior in the College of Communication, said after the walk. “We try to understand the privileges in [our] day-to-day life and help people who don’t have those privileges in their lives.”

Parker Sikes, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, said prior to the walk that she is looking forward to learning more about her privilege compared to that of other students.

“As a white woman, I’m pretty interested in learning what privileges I do and don’t have,” Sikes said.

Raul Fernandez, a lecturer in the School of Education, recited a spoken-word piece participants started to discuss on oppression and privilege.

“Think about the ways that your race, religion, gender or sexual orientation are not valued in this country,” Fernandez said. “I also want you to think about the ways that you are privileged.”

Following the discussion, the participants formed a line that stretched across the gym for the privilege walk. Fernandez then read out nearly 50 suggestions to the crowd, such as “If you went to school speaking another language, take one step back,” or “If you ever inherited money or property, take one step forward.”

Taking a step forward indicated privilege, whereas taking a step backward was a sign of oppression, Fernandez explained.

When told “If you don’t feel like you are welcomed on this campus, take one step back,” none of the participants took a step back.

By the end of the privilege walk, participants were scattered throughout the gym to visually represent their levels of privilege.

Justin Montes, a member of Alianza Latina BU, said through the walk, he learned that privilege “is not something that’s always visible.”

The sophomore in the College of General Studies said that having privilege “is basically a head start in life.”

After the walk, participants formed eight small groups to talk about when they’ve experienced privilege. Then the groups came together in a larger discussion where they all spoke about their individual discussions.

Alianza Latina BU’s Vice President Daniel Gonzalez said people’s perceptions of privilege are based on individual experiences.

“[Privilege] depends on perspective,” Gonzalez, a sophomore in CAS, said after the walk. “What we value and how we value certain privileges depends on perspective. As a man who lives in a patriarchal society, I might not value the privilege I have as a man as much as a woman would [in this society].”

Vignesh Chari, a member of both Iota Nu Delta and the BU India Club, said the walk is a great way for students to start their school year.

The junior in the College of Engineering said after the walk that “reaching out to other people in the BU community is a great way to get people out to these events.”