REVIEW: “Oasis: Supersonic” is an inside look at the ‘90s sensation

Noel and Liam Gallagher of the British rock band, Oasis, the subject of the documentary “Oasis: Supersonic,” which depicts the band’s tumultuous rise to fame. PHOTO COURTESY JILL FURMANOVKSY

The reincarnation of the ‘90s is a trend that has yet to fade away. The choker necklaces, dark lipstick and denim jackets are still staple items in the millennial’s wardrobe. The resurrection of the ‘90s has also given a small rise to some of the hit bands that teens and young adults were listening to back in the day.

The film “Oasis: Supersonic,” released Wednesday, takes you through the journey of brothers Liam and Noel Gallagher, born in Manchester, England and the two key members of one of the most idolized bands of the ‘90s: Oasis.

You know the song that pretty much everyone who claims to play guitar knows how to play? It’s called “Wonderwall,” and yes, it’s by Oasis. If you were born before 1990 you know a lot more songs by them. From the point of view of millennials, this film highlights not only just how big Oasis was, but a completely way of the looking at a ‘live’ concert.

It is impossible to experience a live concert today where everyone is present, living in the moment and simply enjoying the music.

Concerts today are a sea of smartphones taking videos and Snapchats. “Oasis: Supersonic” offered a great selection of concert film and there was not a single scene of that footage that felt distant from the band. Not a single phone screen blocked the view of the band.

This would be a good film for a parent to take their teenage child to see. The age of true rock ‘n’ roll has long passed, and this would be a great way to show millennials what it was actually like back then to see a favorite band or artist in concert and learn about the crazy antics that rock ‘n’ roll musicians were known for.

The film is a great example of what rock ‘n’ roll was really like, but it also beats you over the head with the toxic dynamic that Liam and Noel had. Being brothers and living, creating and traveling together all the time led to a lot of tension. The film is very clear about the fact that the brothers struggled with wanting to be the center of attention, and that tension affecting their relationship.

One of the most notable aspects of the film is that you never see the faces of the band members when they are talking about their feelings and memories. This was a poor decision to make, as it makes a viewer lose interest.

The amount of behind the scenes footage was surprising. Today, someone is always filming or documenting life, whether it be a professional or just a simple camera phone. Back in the ‘90s, constant visual documentation was foreign and not popular. It seemed as though Oasis had a great deal of behind-the-scenes documentation of their transformation as a group and their stardom.

These behind-the-scenes images and videos really help the viewer understand the arc of the movie. It takes you through the early years, diving deep into the Gallagher brothers’ family life and when and how they became interested in music. Next is a glimpse of the struggling musician life, the peak of their fame and the history they have made.

Overall, the film was executed very well and it is definitely worth seeing. It seems that with concert documentaries and films, there can be too much concert footage. That is not the case in this film. There was the perfect amount of concert footage, raw interview footage from back in the ‘90s and behind-the-scenes footage.

1. This article was quite unintentionally humorous. The author writes about Oasis as a respected and idolized band instead of the joke that they are, only spoken of as a meme and by those who idolize the decade they were born in to the point of absurdity.

She claimed “It is impossible to experience a live concert today where everyone is present, living in the moment and simply enjoying the music,” which makes me doubt she has been to a rock concert since smart phones were invented, if she ever has and doesn’t just watch her friends snapchats of Taylor Swift concerts. I see many genres of music live way too often and only at the most poppy of concerts do I ever see smart phones out for more than the opening act.

If the author believes rock to be dead I recommend she take off the nostalgia googles and listen to some of the great rock records released in recent years. Xiu Xiu, Swans, David Bowie, and Chelsea Wolfe stand out as some of the best artists of recent years.

Then again if you think Wonderwall is “true rock ‘n’ roll” maybe you aren’t missing much as shitty pop-rock did die in the 90’s.

2. This article was quite unintentionally humorous. The author writes about Oasis as a respected and idolized band instead of the joke that they are, only spoken of as a meme and by those who idolize the decade they were born in to the point of absurdity.