20 Questions: Women’s soccer’s Kelly Park talks baseball, “Broccoli,” Bieber

Freshman forward Kelly Park started seven of the team's final eight games. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Freshman forward Kelly Park started seven of the team’s final eight games. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University women’s soccer team is heading into the Patriot League Tournament as the No. 2 seed, and will bypass the quarterfinal round of the tournament. The Terriers (8-10-1, 8-1-0 Patriot League) continued to get better as the season went on, and the same can be said for a number of its players, including freshman forward Kelly Park.

Park started the season coming off the bench, but when junior forward Christina Wakefield suffered a season-ending injury, Park stepped up. The San Jose, California native started seven of the last eight games, netted three goals and earned a Patriot League Rookie of the Week honor.

We sat down to talk with the talented first-year.

1. How long have you been playing soccer?

“Pretty much since I was in first grade.”

1. How did it feel to score your first collegiate goal?

“It was a big relief. I think I had been getting close a couple times, and then actually my parents came from California and happened to be at that game. It was a pretty unique moment that I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”

1. How has the team remained focused and disciplined despite your success?

“Since we had a tough out of conference record, we’ve been making sure to hold each other accountable during practice, getting better. The seniors have been great about keeping things positive and pushing us every day.”

1. What was the best part of growing up in the Bay Area?

“I think just the culture. People are always happy.”

1. How is the Boston cold weather treating you?

“It’s very different. It’s been pretty cold this last week, and I’m struggling a little bit. I’ve never seen snow so it’ll be interesting once we start getting some of that.”

1. What’s your favorite thing you’ve done in Boston so far?

“I think the coolest thing was going to a Red Sox game with my team. It was my first game there it was such a cool experience.”

1. Are you a baseball fan? What other sports do you like to watch?

“I’m a San Francisco Giants fan and a Golden State Warriors fan. Baseball, basketball and soccer are the only sports I really watch and follow.”

1. Favorite soccer player?

“Andrés Iniesta for FC Barcelona.”

1. Why did you choose BU?

“I was looking for something different than my Bay Area life. I came to visit here and just kind of fell in love with the city and the culture of the team and everything Boston had to offer.”

1. Is adjusting to college soccer harder or easier than you expected?

“It’s harder. It’s a lot of physical demand on your body and it’s hard to manage school and soccer but I’ve been able to do well and I’m enjoying it a lot.”

1. Best advice you’ve gotten this year?

“Just enjoying the process and not wishing away any days. Everyone says it flies by way quicker than you think.”

1. What song gets you pumped up for a game?

“The song ‘Broccoli’ is a good one for me because my teammate [freshman goalkeeper] Emma [Heil] has a funny dance to it that everyone loves.”

13. Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?

“I put on my left sock, right sock, left shin guard, right shin guard, left cleat, right cleat every time.”

1. Favorite place to eat in Boston?

“I like Carlo’s — it’s down in Allston. It’s my favorite Italian place here.”

1. If you could spend the day with any celebrity who would it be?

“I’m not a huge follower of celebrities but I really like Justin Bieber. I don’t really know why.”

1. What movie did you watch last and what did you think?

“We watched ‘The Notebook’ on the bus on one of our trips. It was the first time I had really watched it and it was really emotional. I was crying on the bus and trying not to let anyone see me.”

1. Are you more excited for Thanksgiving or Christmas?

“Christmas. It’s definitely my favorite holiday by far. It’d be nice to be home for more than a few days.”

1. Are you nervous for the Patriot League Tournament?

“A little, but I’m confident in our team’s preparation and how hard we’ve worked. I think that if we play our best we will do well.”

1. What was your reaction to being named Patriot League Rookie of the Week?

“I was honestly pretty surprised. I wasn’t expecting anything like that, but it was a pretty cool accomplishment and I was speechless almost. It was a huge honor.”

1. Favorite place on campus?

“Nickerson. It just feels like home to me.”