OLIVIER: National security: The true winner of the 2016 election

With the 2016 presidential election on the horizon, the concern for national security has fiercely risen to the surface. Placing national security at the heart of their campaigns, both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are pushing for what they believe will give them an advantage in the ever-so-controversial 2016 election. There is no doubt in American minds that we have reason to fear Trump’s immigration policies, but Clinton’s dishonesty on numerous accounts does not sound like much of a better alternative. What we do have to look forward to as a nation are the steps that will be taken toward stronger national security, independent of who will come out on top in the race to lead America.

Donald Trump’s approach to foreign policy can be described as “peace through strength” in his claim to bolster national security. Trump plans to raise the budget for military spending by removing the defense sequester in place at present. Arming our military with an advanced generation of aircraft, as well as adding around 90,000 soldiers to the Army and enlarging the Navy by adding about 75 new ships, will require Congress to revoke the cut on government spending. With enough money allocated toward national defense, our country will stand a greater chance at defending against foreign threats, specifically those posed by the Islamic State.

Although the plan of action put into place by the Obama administration to destroy ISIS has proven effective, the terrorist group still remains a powerful force in the Middle East and a remarkable threat to our nation’s security. Trump believes focusing on “cyber warfare, financial warfare and ideological warfare” in addition to an increase in military involvement can eventually defeat and destroy ISIS.

Hillary Clinton also looks forward to adopting a policy emphasizing the strength of our nation’s security. Claiming that defeating ISIS would be a goal, Clinton plans to use air power and create alliances to destroy the terrorist group in the Middle East. By advocating for the active use of military power overseas and enhanced security procedures at home, Clinton is convinced her national security policy will not disrupt the status quo of post-9/11 homeland security.

Clinton said she believes investing in the fundamentals of a strong economy — infrastructure, innovation and education — is the first step toward strengthening America at home, which will in turn create a more powerful presence for our nation overseas. Preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons will lessen the threat it poses to Israel, a nation Clinton will continue to support in its ability to defend itself. She will build relationships with the Cubans, strengthening diplomacy in the hopes of preventing future foreign conflict.

Instead of dwelling on the fact that our country will likely not see the benefits of a great American leader arise from this year’s presidential election, looking forward to the common goal both candidates hold in strengthening national security should outweigh our negative outlook on America’s future. Of course, racism, sexism, dishonesty and deception are nowhere close to the ideal characteristics of a president, but these elements will nonetheless remain, independent of who we elect into office. With that said, we should focus on the growth our nation will experience in terms of heightened security and protection from threats overseas. With the election Tuesday, we must remember that the real winner will be out national security.

Despite the accusations made by each candidate toward one another, hateful remarks do not justify whether one is any better than the other. Whether or not these accusations may be true is not important; what we can do as a nation once our president is elected should take priority over the things we cannot change. Clinton nor Trump, but rather America as a whole — uniting to form a safer nation for us all.