EDITORIAL: Violence should never have a place in democracy

As a nation, we were founded upon the most basic principles of democracy. In its infancy, our nation overcame great periods of strife, yet rose above them to exemplify those ideals for many years to come. One of the primary principles of democracy comes from the peaceful transfer of power from one president to the next. One candidate concedes to the next, the supporters move on and another day begins. While seemingly simple, this transition separates the United States from large swaths of the world, placing our government on an exemplary pedestal. At least, until now.

According to BuzzFeed News, armed militia-type groups around the country “are urging their members to prepare for violence on Election Day.” Such a divergence from the typical political process is alarming, particularly when militia groups have been preparing for days on end for a violent outcome. There have been no clear indicators of riots or violent happenings, yet civilians have identified a need to bear arfams.

The article went on to say, “From prepping first-aid kits to full-on tactical armed training in the woods, militia groups are planning and practicing for the worst-case scenario and increasing angst about what historically has been a peaceful transfer of power.”

The article outlined various militia groups adopting the above outlined tactics, anticipating violence in neighborhoods across America. While this solitary fact is troubling, it is perhaps even more terrifying when considering how it fits in to the patterns of this election.

As many know, the polarizing nature of this election has encouraged anger and outrage. The most definitive pattern we’ve made out, however, is the us-versus-them mentality, which the militia groups have adopted. The mentality stems from a place that the perceived “other” groups, or those unlike themselves, will not agree with their beliefs. Therefore, they have adopted a highly defensive reaction, as we’ve seen countless other groups adopt during this election cycle.

While mudslinging has occurred on both sides, the vast majority of the us-versus-them mentality has stemmed from the Republican side of the aisle. Donald Trump is the king of aggressive defense mechanisms, which we as journalists know all too well. Trump often cordons off members of the press from his rallies, then points out their presence to his supporters, who, more often than not, jeer and taunt journalists who are simply doing their jobs. The New York Times captured this experience in a 360-degree video, and the effect is nothing less than alarming. This is not what campaigning is supposed to look like.

The us-versus-them mentality has crossed over from merely political parties to a deep distrust in government institutions as well, which has been amplified exponentially by the events of this election cycle. Polls have shown time and time again that people are people are faltering in their views on democracy, but this election has tested even some of the staunchest supporters, as shown in a Washington Post investigation. For many, it is the general public versus the government, and this is a dangerous mentality to have.

The us-versus-them mentality, particularly in Trump’s case, highlights an important fact. Those who choose violence over conversation lack the confidence to engage in diplomatic discourse. The typical playground bully-like statement of, “I’ll fight you” exemplifies this idea, coming form a weakness of mind and lack of self-confidence, but some ability to use fists. We, as a nation, must ask ourselves if this is how we wish to proceed within ourselves and with our peers.

At this point in the election cycle, we should be focused on uniting the nation after a traumatic experience rather than arming ourselves in case of riots like the aggressive militias. We are defined by our ability to peacefully transfer power from one candidate to the next. Let’s not threaten that with senseless violence. One must remember that an election reflects due democratic process. As a nation, you voted for that individual. Perhaps not you personally, but as a nation, that was your choice. By rebelling against that, you rebel against democracy.

Today is Election Day. Sure, go ahead and be emotional. Emotionally encourage others to vote. Emotionally exclaim that you voted. And then, accept the outcome with civility. There is nothing wrong with emphatic expression, but arming yourself is extremely unnecessary. Democracy is a beautiful thing; let’s not forget that.

1. Sure, violence should never have a place anywhere. However, if violence comes for you, will you be ready for it?