BU professor hosts series of post-election rallies

Nathan Phillips, a professor in Boston University's Department of Earth and Environment, sits in Marsh Plaza in support of racial, gender and religious equality Monday afternoon. PHOTO BY BRIAN SONG/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Nathan Phillips, a professor in Boston University’s Department of Earth and Environment, sits in Marsh Plaza in support of racial, gender and religious equality Monday afternoon. PHOTO BY BRIAN SONG/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

With signs reading “Respect the Constitution” and “Speak Up Speak Out to Discrimination,” Boston University professor Nathan Phillips sat in front of the Free at Last sculpture in Marsh Plaza Monday afternoon to protest President-elect Donald Trump’s recent Cabinet selections.

“[Trump’s Cabinet picks] told me that there would be no reset, or ‘give him a chance,’” he said. “It was doubling down on all of the horrible things Trump said during his campaign.”

Phillips initiated a similar demonstration on Nov. 21. He said he plans to continue holding demonstrations in Marsh Plaza every Monday afternoon until the winter break.

Persistence in speaking out is the best way to avoid a “normalization” of the Trump presidency, Phillips said.

“I expect passers-by to just register the message,” he said. “And I want to sustain resistance to the bigotry and hatred that we’ve seen in this election. It is very likely to continue on with the Cabinet picks that Trump has made.”

Anne Short, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment, joined the rally after Phillips reached out to her via email. She said creating visual reminders is necessary to keep discrimination from becoming the norm.

“The rhetoric of this election cycle was so full of bigotry and divisiveness that is so beyond what is normal,” Short said. “It’s important that we remind people to be constantly paying attention, constantly speaking out, speaking up and not letting these things become normal.”

As people passed by the demonstration, Phillips spoke to students and professors who approached him.

Phillipe Copeland, a BU School of Social Work professor, came to the rally to express his solidarity with Phillips and the rest of the attendees.

“I appreciate the spontaneity and sincerity of it,” Copeland said. “I certainly believe that sustained demonstrations like this have a power that’s different from when you do one big thing.”

Whitney DiMeo, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she wants to participate in more protests like Phillips’ to bring students with different views and backgrounds together.

“I was called the demonic liberal at home over Thanksgiving break,” DiMeo said. “It’s stressful because people don’t think about issues that personally affect them.”

Pontus Olofsson, a professor in the Department of Earth and Environment, also stopped by the demonstration to support Phillips’ message.

“I feel the fascism, racism, misogyny, [anti-]scientific issues,” Olofsson said. “All of these things are very serious and dangerous. If I can do anything to say something about it, I will.”  

By the end of the protest, several professors gathered in the plaza with Phillips. Together, they stood next to the signs that Phillips made, one of which quoted Martin Luther King Jr. — “Hate can’t drive out hate. Only love can.”

Jared Goldberg, a freshman in the School of Hospitality Administration who watched the rally from afar, said Marsh Plaza is an ideal location for protesters to capture the attention of BU students.

“They have the right to express themselves however they want,” Goldberg said. “They wanted students to see [the protest], and this is the perfect place — right here where you can’t miss them.”

Phillips said he chose to protest in Marsh to take a stand for people who may experience discrimination during Trump’s presidency.

“Silent disagreement is not sufficient,” Phillips said. “Silent disagreement is acquiescence.”

1. Still appreciating all you’ve chose to do. You