JOHNSTON: Freedom-fighting Castro doesn’t deserve a farewell

Some good news emerged on Nov. 25 with the death of an iconic dictator, tyrant and socialist comrade. Fidel Castro seized on an opportunity to secure his lasting control of Cuba in the ‘50s during the spread of communism and socialism throughout the world.

We should all be thankful that this figurehead is no longer with us. Despite his brother is still in control of the country and his family is reaping the benefits of his ridiculous bureaucratic state, having the face of the revolution gone should be a breath of fresh air for oppressed Cubans.

Maybe things will change for the better. After all, it should not be long until his brother Raúl Castro dies of his own old age.   

What makes this death really interesting, however, is that many on the left, including Jill Stein of all people, have seemed to forgotten how horrible Castro was.

They are mourning his death, saying he was a fighter for equality, for the people. This is seriously distressing.

Such sympathy for hatred is absolutely dumbfounding, not to mention extraordinarily ironic. This is a man who imprisoned whoever disagreed with his ideas, locking them up in hellholes filled with torture and murder. He did all this in the name of “equality” and “peace.”

Alongside his trusty sidekick Che Guevara, who is also now a symbol of excellence for no logical reason, Castro transformed Cuba into a fascist state where ideas were illegal, poverty was rampant and freedom was nonexistent.

Citizens, for decades, fled the country to Florida on anything that could float. If this man was truly a leader, these innocent civilians would not have died trying to escape extreme poverty and murder.

This all occurred while the devilish man continuously ripped shots of the finest fermented juices the Kremlin could offer while he planned a campaign to give the evil capitalist country of the United States a hard time for half a century.

With Russia supplying comrade Fidel with weapons of mass destruction, Castro thought it best to point them directly at freedom, because freedom causes inequality and we can’t have that.

More than two handfuls of U.S. presidents saw their hairs turn gray simply because Castro was in charge of the tiny Russian-funded Caribbean country.

While the U.S. population fought for racial and sexual equality in the ‘60s, John F. Kennedy was dealing with the possible threat of nuclear war that was now sitting in his hemisphere of the globe.

Although that might be the worst of it, every president since JFK has had their fair share of Castro moments. There is a reason no one bought sugar made in Cuba for the second half of the 20th century, and we eat high fructose corn syrup at each and every meal.

However, the left has moved on from this. No grudges anymore. President Barack Obama lifted the embargo and the alt-left has decided that Castro’s struggle for power was similar to movements for equality in our country.

In other words, they now gush over someone who killed, tortured and manipulated his own citizens.

How ironic is it that he gets a free pass, whereas Donald Trump, who has said some off-color remarks in his 70-year-old life, is seen as the devil in disguise whose tweets will lead us toward Nazism.

It is disgraceful that Jill Stein, who hails from my hyper-liberal hometown of Lexington, Massachusetts, praised Castro for being “a symbol of the struggle for justice.”

She ran for president. This is the country we live in now. We have digressed. This should worry people.

Socialism is not the answer. With Democrats now referring to themselves as social-Democrats and Bernie Sanders receiving a massive amount of the Democratic popular vote, I think it is safe to say that we are on the wrong trajectory.

I thought we learned our lesson in the 20th century. We saw civilizations get torn apart by oppressive regimes attempting to inject socialism and communism into their poverty stricken states.

All it takes is a high unemployment rate and the promise of socialist change from an evil leader to transform a country into a disgusting pit of unimaginable poverty and fear.

Fidel did this. He is not a hero. His death should not be mourned. Our country needs to understand this.