Sports, Swimming & Diving, Track and Field

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving close semester at UConn

The BU swimming and diving teams closed their fall season with losses to Yale and UConn. PHOTO BY OLIVIA NADEL/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams had their last meet of the semester on Saturday afternoon against Yale University and host University of Connecticut. Both sides fell to the Huskies and Bulldogs in tight races.

The men’s team fell to UConn 164-136 and to Yale by a score of 221.5-78.5, while BU’s women’s team lost 159-140 to the Huskies and 182-117 to the Bulldogs.

For the Terriers, junior Garrett Chin was the top finisher for the men’s team after winning two events: the 200-yard fly (1:50.14) and the 200-yard back (1:49.71). Chin also had a second-place showing in the 200-yard individual medley (1:52.31) to round out his successful afternoon.

Sophomore Trevor Winans finished in second in the 200-yard free, while senior Daniel Andronov matched Winans’ effort in the 100-yard breast.

Freshman Tommy Haggerty came in third place in the 1000-yard free, while junior Quinn Smith matched Haggerty in the 100-yard fly.

BU rounded out the day with the 200-yard medley quartet of Smith, Andronov, junior Oliver Maarse and senior Brian Habacivch coming in second with a time of 1:34.25, one 100th of a second behind the Huskies.

On the women’s side, senior Lauren Dixon was the lone first-place finisher of the day. The Oakville, Ontario native bested everyone in the 200-yard free with a time of 1:54.53.

She also had a second-place showing in the 400-yard free relay alongside senior Christy Wilde, freshman Meghan Egan and sophomore Julimar Avila. Wilde also had second-place finishes of her own in the 50-yard free and 100-yard free.

Junior Grace Anderson also found success, as she came in second in the 1000-yard free (10:19.49) and the 500-yard free (5:04.28).

Sophomore Erin Nabney rounded out the Terriers’ top two finishers by finishing in second in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 2:08.50.

The men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams next compete on Jan. 21 at the United States Military Academy against Army and George Mason University.

Men’s and women’s track and field indoor season underway

The Boston University men’s and women’s track teams each began their indoor seasons last Saturday in the season opener at the Track and Tennis Center.

The men’s side was paced by the individual dominance of junior Jordan Love. The Novi, Michigan native won the 200-meter dash in 21.61 seconds, thus giving him the top qualifying time for the 60-meter dash final, where he would finish in third place (6.92).

After sprinting to a fourth-place finish in qualifying (7.00), Love’s classmate Cameron Nurse nearly matched that result when finishing third in the 60-meter final (7.01).

David Oluwadara opened his senior campaign by winning the triple jump with a 15.27-meter effort.

In his collegiate debut, freshman Clint Lockwood qualified for the shot put final (12th place) after finishing in fourth in the qualifiers (13.68 meters).

For the women’s team, sophomore Lovie Burleson was the Terriers’ lone first-place recipient. Burleson, a native of Murrieta, California, finished first in the triple jump (12.10 meters), and competed in the 60-meter dash prelims (8 seconds).

In the 60-meter hurdle finals, the Terriers saw three of their own finish as top qualifiers.

Senior Toria Levy came in second at 8.62 seconds, junior Tehya Noell finished in fifth and senior Ally Saccone had a sixth-place performance.

In the 4×400-meter relay, the team of senior Djenne Parris, sophomore Jordan Coverson, freshman Cynthia Aroke and senior Kerri Graber came in third with a time of 3:53.08.

In the 300-meter dash, Levy broke teammate graduate student Christy Wood’s record (38.69), as she finished in third place with a time of 38.37.

Both the men’s and women’s teams resume their season on Jan. 19 when they host the Multi-Team Meet at the Track and Tennis Center.