EDITORIAL: Obama upholds legacy in his last days

As we say goodbye to President Barack Obama this afternoon, the events of the past eight years, especially during the transition to Donald Trump, are at the forefront of our minds. When Obama was elected eight years ago, he was welcomed into our hearts along with Michelle, one of the most beloved first ladies in history. It is truly sad to see the Obamas leave the White House, no matter who will be filling their shoes.

The soon-to-be former president has been taking advantage of every second he has left in the Oval Office. The Washington Post reported yesterday that Obama granted 330 commutations to nonviolent drug offenders in his last full day in office. This is the most commutations that any U.S. president has granted in one day, cementing Obama’s status as given more commutations than the last 12 presidents combined, according to the Post.

Among those clemencies is Chelsea Manning, who was convicted in 2013 of spreading confidential military documents to WikiLeaks. Obama abridged her 35-year sentence to end this May, claiming that she had served enough time. Oscar López Rivera, a member of the Armed Forces of National Liberation that conspired against the U.S. government, was also granted a commuted sentence.

During Obama’s Farewell Address, his decision to award Joe Biden the Presidential Medal of Freedom and his heartfelt goodbyes to staff have all been accumulating to do one thing — protect and uphold his legacy. He has dedicated this week to thanking those who have aided him throughout his tumultuous presidency. His actions on his last day, to pardon those who have been imprisoned for nonviolent crimes, are commendable. It assures us that he has attempted to follow through with what he promised as a presidential nominee.

The criminalization of drug offenses has been under scrutiny in the past few years, especially after the legalization of marijuana by multiple states last year. For men and women who got involved in drug crimes at a young age, and for those who were sentenced to years in prison, those criminal records will stay with them forever. Those records have historically kept people from employment, no matter the offense. Obama deserves praise for commuting sentences of those who have committed low level crimes.

Though Obama has created a legacy of commutations, the soon-to-be former president did not start addressing the problem of mass incarceration until the second term of his presidency. As the first African-American president, Obama was elected with tremendous amount of political capital. While in office, Obama could have created legal change to the criminal justice system in regards to nonviolent drug crimes. Many who were negatively affected by his administration are still in prison and many will continue to go to prison for the same offenses that have just been pardoned. It seems that, though his actions this week have been commanded respect, it is too little, too late.

Obama’s method to mark his final legacy is also questionable. Obama and his administration have been bashing WikiLeaks for their supposed involvement in manipulating U.S. election, but it seems hypocritical of Obama to commute the prison sentence of a woman convicted of contributing to the same organization. At this moment in time, his decision seems to take away some of the stigma of government leaks.

That said, Obama has proven that he will continue to work for this country until the moment he no longer leads us. As long as he is still the president, it is within his rights to pardon, no matter the timing, no matter the person. We must remember that it was his last day, not Trump’s first. His actions in no way have hurt Trump’s presidency, cabinet or abilities to carry out his plans. Through these actions, Obama is telling the American people that he not only respects his time in office, but will also utilize it until he no longer can. On his last day, it is assuring to see that he is just as committed to this job as he was on his first.

Obama’s eight-year term has been mostly a solo job. The Republican Congress has worked against him time and time again, specifically regarding his efforts in healthcare. As a result, Obama had to turn to his executive powers to make sure that though he leaves the White House, he will leave with his legacy intact. When he exits the office, history will judge his legacy.