Terriers prevail in weekend series against Providence

Junior forward Nina Rodgers scored two goals in BU's first win of 2017. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Junior forward Nina Rodgers scored two goals in BU’s first win of 2017. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Pucks found the back of the net with ease in a high-scoring game, as the Boston University women’s hockey team tied 5-5 with Providence College in the first leg of a home-and-home series on Jan. 21 in Rhode Island.

Both the Terriers (13-8-5, 8-7-4 Hockey East) and the Friars (12-12-2, 7-7-2 Hockey East) started the game with equal levels of intensity, resulting in a goal for each team in the first period. BU enjoyed the first goal halfway into the period, scored by junior forward Victoria Bach with assists from junior defender Savannah Newton and senior defender Alexis Crossley.

Providence followed with a goal of their own shortly after as freshman Whitney Dove set the stage for senior Cassidy Carels to bring the Friars to a tie with the Terriers.

Despite the tied score, the first period was a difficult one for the Terriers as they lacked the organization to control puck possession.

“Providence dominated the first period in shots and opportunities,” BU head coach Brian Durocher said. “We didn’t seem to have strength or composure as early in the game.”

The Terriers stepped up their game in the second period with a goal scored by junior forward Rebecca Leslie, assisted by junior forward Nina Rodgers and sophomore defender Connor Galway. Bach pushed the Terriers into a safe lead against the Friars with two consecutive power play goals with help from Crossley, senior forward Samantha Sutherland and graduate student forward Mary Parker.

Providence closed out the period with a last minute goal, as defenseman Avery Fransoo paved the way for freshman forward Meaghan Rickard to narrow BU’s lead on the Friars.

Providence carried this momentum into the final period with three consecutive goals, boasting a 5-4 lead against the Terriers. BU managed to tie up the game at the end of the period with a goal by Leslie, assisted by Parker and Crossley.

The Terriers executed an impressive defensive scheme despite the Friars’ high scoring with a significant emphasis on senior goalie Victoria Hanson’s performance.

“Hanson played extremely well in net today and was very sound,” Durocher said. “She didn’t have much of a chance on the goals that were there today.”

Sunday afternoon was a fresh start for the Terriers as they came into the first period determined on offense, managing to fire off two goals in the first ten minutes against the Friars. Leslie scored the first goal that was quickly followed by redshirt sophomore forward Anna Streifel’s first collegiate goal.

“Complete euphoria would maybe be the best term to describe it,” Streifel said of scoring her goal. “It’s been awhile so it’s really fun to finally get a goal.”

The Friars closed out the period with Dove’s set-up for freshman Neve Van Pelt’s goal on a power play.

Providence dominated in shots on goal during the second period but could not find the back of the net. Rodgers scored the only goal of the period for the Terriers with an assist from Bach, widening the gap for the Terriers’ lead.

“We were getting some rushes and we weren’t getting hemmed in, and a few times on turnovers we just dumped it in and let two people go,” Durocher said. “It’s nice, and it added up to what you saw.”

The third period began with a goal for the Friars scored by senior Lauren Klein with an assist from Dove.

Later in the period, Rodgers scored her second goal of the game, assisted by Sutherland, closely followed by freshman defender Abby Cook’s goal on an empty net to close out a 5-2 victory for the Terriers.

“We had to have the defense take the initiative with their legs and make good decisions and quick decisions, and our wingers had to win more battles on the wall,” Durocher said. “We did both of those things today.”