Morning Skate: Parity in the NHL is one of its appeals

Edmonton's selection of Connor McDavid in the NHL Draft 2 years ago has turned the team around. PHOTO COURTESY NUNYMARE
Edmonton’s selection of Connor McDavid in the NHL Draft 2 years ago has turned the team into a contender. PHOTO COURTESY NUNYMARE

In a league of 30 teams, only two are nowhere near the playoff picture as we approach the NHL All-Star break. If you’re a fan of the Avalanche or the Coyotes, I apologize for reminding you. To every other hockey fan out there: buckle up for a bumpy ride into April.

In the Eastern Conference, there is only a five-point difference between last place Tampa Bay and the second wild card spot held by Philadelphia. Out west, there is only a four-point difference between the 12th place Dallas and the second wild card holder Calgary.

The parity in the league today proves what NHL fans have been saying to NBA fans for years.  There are no locks in today’s NHL. The Sixers are not going to beat Golden State (maybe they will eventually if you “Trust the Process”). But the Eastern Conference basement-dweller Tampa Bay has split its matchups up with the conference-leading Capitals.

To eliminate the differences in games played, look at points percentage. The Philadelphia Flyers currently hold the last wild card spot in the Eastern Conference and have a points percentage of 54.2 percent. Tampa Bay is the only team in the Eastern Conference below 50 percent, with a points percentage of 49. The Western Conference paints a very similar picture. When discarding Arizona and Colorado, only two teams are below 50 percent: Dallas at 49 and Winnipeg at 48.

So what’s the point? In short, the difference between being just inside the playoff picture and being on the outside is incredibly small. The cliché that the game is a matter of inches has never been more accurate. Few teams will have an easy ride into April, while most will have their fate decided with little time to spare.

Why is this happening? In my mind the answer is simple: the lottery is working. Teams like the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Edmonton Oilers have added young, elite talent to their respective rosters, with Calder Trophy front-runner Auston Matthews and Art Ross Trophy front-runner Connor McDavid.  

With superstars in place, both teams have been able to let players more suited for role-playing do just that, and other first-round picks who needed more time to develop around these superstars are able to do so since they’re not expected to play a huge role right off the bat. These lottery teams of the past two years are right in the mix of things at third place in their respective divisions. Even more importantly, both teams are set up to dominate for years to come.

What does this mean for hockey fans? The next two and a half months are going to be incredible. With 28 teams having a chance, only 16 will get in. Newcomers like the Maple Leafs are looking to end Detroit’s 25-year stay in the postseason. The Chicago dynasty is feeling the pressure from frequent postseason foe Minnesota at the top of the Central. So, sit back, try to relax and enjoy the ride.

Games to watch for this week (all times Eastern):

Thursday, Jan. 26: St. Louis Blues v. Minnesota Wild 8 p.m.

This will be a great divisional matchup. The Wild look to remain atop the Central, as the Blues try to get back on track defensively against a great offensive opponent.

Saturday, Jan. 28: Skills Competition 7 p.m., NBCSN

The skills competition is always a highlight of the season. We get to marvel at the insane skill in the league that is often hidden in the real games.

Sunday, Jan. 29: All-Star Game 3:30 p.m., NBCSN

I’m very interested to see how the 3-on-3 tournament format works this year. In its debut last year, teams quickly figured out how to make the exhilarating OT format into a chess game.

Tuesday, Jan. 31: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. NY Rangers 7 p.m., Pittsburgh Penguins v. Nashville Predators 7 p.m., Minnesota Wild v. Edmonton Oilers 9 p.m., Chicago Blackhawks v. San Jose Sharks 10:30 p.m.

Take your picks in a slew of great games. If you’re a pro like I am, get the multi-window setup going. And if you want to join in on torturing yourself, follow my lead and watch the Flyers play the Hurricanes at 7 p.m.

Wednesday, Feb. 1: Boston Bruins vs. Washington Capitals, 8 p.m.

The Bruins have shown flashes of great play this season, but as of late they’ve been tough to watch. This Capitals team might be the one that finally gets past the second round. We’ve been saying this for years now, but it has to happen at some point, right?

1. George Dubya Bush

Great read! Go wild!!