Women’s basketball is still trying to find winning formula

Sophie Beaudry has been the Terriers' most valuable player this season, and coach Katy Steding is quick to praise her. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF
Sophie Beaudry has been the Terriers’ most valuable player this season, and coach Katy Steding is quick to praise her. PHOTO BY JOHN KAVOURIS/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

It has been a busy two weeks for the Boston University women’s basketball team, as it played four games, including a double-overtime defeat against Colgate University and a battle with Patriot League-leading Bucknell University. The Terriers (6-13, 4-4 Patriot League) have dropped three of their last four games, which exposed their weakness, but with a few bright spots.

Inconsistency off the bench

Opponents’ benches have outscored BU’s by 13 or more points in three of its last four games.  Most notably, in the double-overtime loss to Colgate (6-13, 3-5 Patriot League), the Terriers’ bench only produced six points from throughout the entire game, while the starters scored the other 81. In the last four games, BU has averaged just 9.8 bench points per game.

However, it is clear the impact players that come off the bench have on a game. In their victory over Loyola University Maryland, the Terriers bench powered a comeback en route to 18 points, 13 of which were scored by junior forward Kara Sheftic. BU head coach Katy Steding was quick to point this out.

“[The bench was] the reason that we turned the game around against Loyola, and I felt really good about that,” Steding said.

Steding added that part of the reason the bench hasn’t impacted games is simply because she’s been relying on her starters to play a lot of minutes.

“Our starters are playing way too many minutes,” Steding said. “We’re keeping them out there for too long, so they’re not as effective.”

On the other hand, Steding wants her players to earn their time on the court and make positive contributions to the team.

“We’ve talked about making the most of the opportunity when it’s there,” she said. “You have to have an impact without being too overzealous.”

Terriers dominating the paint

In three of its last four games, BU has outscored its opponents in the paint. Against American University on Jan. 11, BU was outscored inside 34-28, but it proceeded to go on a tear since then, outscoring Loyola 32-28, Colgate 44-30 and Bucknell (16-3, 8-0 Patriot League) 36-24. They have averaged 35 points in the paint per game in the last four contests.  

To put it in perspective, BU has averaged 65 points per game in each of those matchups, meaning that more than half of its point production has been coming from inside.

“We’ve really made it a focus [to score in the paint],” Steding said. “The kids have seen the fruits of their labor pay off. We’re also creating stuff organically without scripting it. It’s nice to see them use their IQ, because we have some smart players.”

Sophie Beaudry stands out

Junior center Sophie Beaudry has proven herself to be a great all-around player. She showed her offensive capabilities in the games against Loyola (8-11, 4-4 Patriot League) and Colgate. Against Loyola, she led the team with 24 points and grabbed 10 rebounds. Then, she and senior guard Sarah Hope led the way against Colgate, as each of them scored 20 points. What stands out about Beaudry is that even when her offensive numbers drop, as they did against Bucknell, she raises her game on the defensive end. While she only scored 15 points against the Bison, she turned in four blocks and two steals.  

There are times when Beaudry does everything in one game.  Against American (8-11, 5-3 Patriot League), she was the leading scorer with 27 points, had two assists and rejected five shots.  

Steding was quick to praise Beaudry for all she brings to the table for the Terriers.

“There’s not another player like her in the Patriot League,” Steding said. “Her combination of size, strength, agility, IQ and natural shooting ability, you don’t find it in a 6’5” package like that very often. Aside from the physical gifts that she brings to the table, she has a good heart, plays with a great edge and the kids really respect her when she talks.”

Since Beaudry is the Terriers’ biggest weapon, Steding is trying to mix it up so the offense is less predictable.

“Right now, we’re trying to find ways to not just put her on the block,” Steding said. “When she goes down on the block now and teams immediately double her, we have to get her in motion. She has to expand her skill set, which she’s working on, but we just haven’t need to go to it.”

Jordan Green contributed to the reporting of this article.