REVIEW: The LEGO Batman Movie brings entertainment for kids, adults

Will Arnett voices Batman in ”The LEGO Batman Movie,” hitting theaters Friday. PHOTO COURTESY WARNER BROS.

Riding on the success of the critically acclaimed 2014 film “The Lego Movie,” its spinoff, “The LEGO Batman Movie” is sure to be another hit with both parents and children alike. With its parodic tone and clever writing, director Chris McKay and writers Seth Grahame-Smith, Chris McKenna, Erik Sommers, Jared Stern and John Whittington provide their audience with a fast-paced, well-animated and funny adventure.

The movie begins with a humorous opening, where Batman (Will Arnett) comments on both Warner Bros. Entertainment and DC Comics. Afterward, the setting is revealed to be Gotham City. Batman yet again has to defeat the nefarious Joker (Zach Galifianakis). However, when he finally has the evildoer in his clutches, the Joker refers to himself as Batman’s “greatest enemy,” which the Caped Crusader immediately denies, saying that he doesn’t “do ships” and that he likes to “fight around.” Hurt that Batman doesn’t consider him to be his sole arch enemy, the Joker vows to become his greatest enemy by taking over Gotham City.

This initial encounter sets the theme for the whole film, as Bruce Wayne must come to terms with his traumatic past and accepts people into his life. After accidentally adopting a young boy, Dick Grayson (Michael Cera), Batman must learn how to become a “padre” and allow Richard to become Robin. When the Joker again causes havoc in Gotham City, it is up to Batman, Robin, Gotham’s new commissioner Barbara Gordon (Rosario Dawson) and butler Alfred (Ralph Fiennes) to stop him and save the day.

This film functions mainly as a parody of other Batman films and superhero stereotypes and even goes so far as to make fun of the Caped Crusader himself. In several instances, the film will flash to clips from previous Batman appearances, such as his starring role in the critically panned “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” Early on in the film, Alfred even refers to a phase he had in 1966, after which the film flashes back to the live-action film, “Batman: The Movie,” that was released in that year.

Much of the film’s humor also comes from a clever sense of self-awareness. The characters all seem to function as if they realize that they are in a film, conscious of the fact that they are playing out common superhero tropes. This further adds to the parodic tone of “The LEGO Batman Movie.”

However, while many of the jokes got a laugh from the audience, some did fall flat. These tended to be the jokes that were too simple or predictable and were obviously meant for the children in the theater. Nevertheless, these few moments of childish humor were a minor drawback to an otherwise hilarious movie.

Aside from the humor, the animation is stunning. This film erases any doubts about animating Legos and having them fight crime. The colors are all bright and fun, without being totally distracting, and the attention to detail is outstanding. In one scene that takes place in Wayne Manor, the animation is so bright and detailed, that the dust in the air is animated, allowing an emotional moment to seem more raw and realistic.

The voice acting for “The LEGO Batman Movie” is also very well done. Arnett as Batman is a stellar choice, as he voices the role as a parody of Batman, without getting lost in the humor. Cera as the voice of Robin was another amazing casting choice, as he gives the role charm, enthusiasm and innocence without allowing the character to become annoying or grating. Fiennes’ Alfred, Galifianakis’ Joker and Dawson’s Gordon are also very good, but their performances tend to pale in comparison to Arnett’s Batman and Cera’s Robin.

The climax of the film is fast-paced, action-packed and emotional, while not completely forgetting to be funny. There are also a lot of Easter eggs from previous Warner Bros. films, as well as appearances from other popular non-Warner Bros. films.

Overall, “The LEGO Batman Movie” is a well-written, well-directed and well-animated film. It’s lighthearted yet clever humor and emphasis on the importance of family and friends make it an exceptional film for adults and children alike.