EDITORIAL: Bernie and Phyl’s new ad campaign push social boundaries

An episode of “Parks and Recreation” titled “Farmers Market” addresses how to advertise a product with a very small fan base, proving that its methods are still applicable to present day. In the episode, a chard vender tries to create buzz around the vegetable by hiring semi-naked dancers and throwing around phrases like, “Let’s get a chard on.” The stand was shut down but the vender continued to argue that he can’t sell his product without a certain appeal. Within the last few weeks, the problems with the fictional town of Pawnee have seemed to spread to Boston.

T riders throughout the city have been seeing advertisements that have received a lot of attention from avid Twitter users and the press. Bernie and Phyl’s, a Norton-based furniture store, released an advertising campaign channeling old print newspaper ads, according to an article from Boston Business Journal. The advertisements, which have been spread as posters on the T, have gotten flack for using sexual language deemed too inappropriate for a space as open as public transportation. Many are taking to social media to rant about the seemingly offensive innuendos.

Though some have been offended and asked for the advertisements to be taken down, there is no doubt that these ads are clever. DeVito/Verdi, the New York-based advertising firm tasked with reinventing the furniture’s brand, succeeded in creating edgy, thought-provoking ads that appealed to younger audiences. The question, “Looking for one night stand?” which wound up being a plea to purchase a night stand surely elicited a laugh from the younger audience viewing their ads during their commutes. It’s understandable that some think these ads cross a line, but they’re not exactly inappropriate enough to be offensive. The advertising agency created inventive phrases to sell an otherwise static product line, not using expletives or graphic images. If the signs included words that couldn’t be interpreted in any other way, it wouldn’t be appropriate. At that point, it also wouldn’t be amusing.

One argument is that since the T is a public space, children will inevitably see these ads and they’re too young for the messages being promoted. However, these ads aren’t promoting negative messages, nor are they sexist, racist or controversial. What advertisement has never received scrutiny? People will always find something to be upset about, but this was a fun attempt to advertise furniture.

The question that remains is whether or not public transportation was the best location for these advertisements, especially considering their target demographic. Would it be more appropriate to promote the ad campaign on a college campus? It would probably receive less bad press, but at this point it seems like to Bernie and Phyl’s, no press is bad press. In the end, the MBTA made the decision to allow these advertisements on their trains. They clearly believed the ads stayed within the lines of what is reasonable, prompting the response of others to think so as well.

The design of an old newspaper ad, which are so overtly sexual, are supposed to make us chuckle. It was a bold strategy and though it might not have been 100 percent effective, the campaign is certainly eye-catching. The purpose of advertising is to be creative, push boundaries, make people uncomfortable and force them to reflect on why these feelings are erupting. These ads, however inappropriate they may be, accomplishes just that.