Lacrosse, Sports

Men’s lacrosse achieves 7-0 start, best in program history

Cal Dearth is one of BU’s 17 seniors that has that has been with the program from its inception. He leads the team in goals, assists and points. PHOTO BY ALEXANDRA WIMLEY/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

After its recent 18-7 win against Colgate University, the No. 15 Boston University men’s lacrosse team boasts an impressive 7-0 record, which is the best start in the program’s four-year history.

“A lot of people worked to get this program off the ground and build a nice foundation, so we’re very thankful for everyone that has done so much for it,” said BU (7-0, 2-0 Patriot League) head coach Ryan Polley. “But at the end of the day, it’s about this current team and what they’re doing.”

Among these seven consecutive victories include one double-overtime win at Providence College and four more on the road.

The Terriers are one of four unbeaten teams ranked in the top 20, and their performance away from Nickerson Field has made them one of the best road teams in the nation this season.

Polley said that the Terriers do not treat road games differently, but they have a routine in place that has been executed well.

“It’s a really focused group,” Polley said. “We’ve been able to get some of our routines down and our guys are practicing really well and that’s leading to great games on the weekend.”

17 seniors leading the way

Of the 50-man roster, 17 are seniors and all have begun their last season on a high note.

Senior midfielder Chad Bell, attacker Michael Carbone and midfielder Cal Dearth have been key players for the Terriers’ offense, which has been averaging 12 goals per game.

Dearth, who has recorded a point in every game this season, leads the team in goals (14), assists (9) and points (23).

The Ridgefield, Connecticut native was recently named to the Tewaaraton Watch List for an award that goes to the most outstanding player in college lacrosse. This comes as no surprise, as Dearth came into his senior season as one of the Terriers’ most reliable players and was selected as a preseason All-American by Inside Lacrosse and to the Patriot League Preseason All-League Team.

“Cal’s just gotten so much better in every one of his years,” Polley said. “He’s just so unselfish. He sees the field so well and is really a great shooter in the game. He does things right, he shoots well, he can dodge well, he’s so fast, he’s got great vision and he’s just a really complete player.”

While the seniors contribute on the field, Polley noted their leadership has played a big part as well.

“We’ve been in situations this year where it’s been hard, and we’ve been down, and certainly our seniors have stepped up with their play and also with their staying in huddles,” Polley said. “They’ve just done a great job in getting this program to where it needs to be, so I couldn’t be more happy for them and more happy with the way they’ve conducted themselves this season.”

Christian Carson-Banister anchors team in net

While the Terriers’ offense has wavered at times, their defense has remained a constant backbone of the team.

Senior goaltender Christian Carson-Banister has been a strong force between the pipes, allowing only 6.5 goals a game. He has been crucial in keeping BU’s point advantage during contests against the United States Naval Academy and Bryant University.

“He’s just taking care of any mistakes we make,” said Polley. “We’re not really making that many mistakes on defense. Evidently against good offensive teams, you’re either going to breakdown or they’re going to make offensive plays and anytime that [happens], Christian has just stepped up and made so many big time saves.”

The Dallas, Texas native has been named Corvias Goalkeeper of the Week three times already this season, and rightly so, as he boasts the second highest save percentage (0.674) and goals against average in the Patriot League.

The senior’s presence on and off the field has also been noticed on a larger scale. He was the first BU player in the program to be selected along with 19 others as a candidate for the Senior CLASS award, which honors accomplishments in four areas of excellence: community, classroom, character and competition.

“Without him this year, I don’t know what our record would be,” Polley said. “I don’t know if we’d be 7-0. He’s just playing at such a high level, so he’s been our MVP by far.”