REVIEW: “Life” provides solid addition to space horror genre, but falls flat in finale

Jake Gyllenhaal stars in the new movie, “Life,” released on Friday. PHOTO COURTESY SEAMUS MCGARVEY

In recent years, movie theaters have become inundated with sequels and remakes. This year is no different with “Logan” and “Beauty and the Beast” topping the box office. However, it is always exciting when Hollywood comes out with an original idea. Daniel Espinosa’s “Life,” while taking inspiration from Ridley Scott’s “Alien,” falls into that category with ease.

“Life” follows a group of scientists deployed on the International Space Station, who are given the task of examining recovered soil from Mars for signs of intelligent life. Scientist Hugh Derry (Ariyon Bakare), soon finds an organism that shows some signs of life. While starting out on a positive note, the movie soon takes a darker turn once the organism starts to grow and attack the crew.

A shocking strength of this movie is the lack of a lead character, with each character getting a chance to shine. The writers structure the story to allow each character a key trait that helps the audience make an attachment, which makes their inevitable deaths a lot more heartbreaking. Espinosa made sure to make this cast feel like a crew that has been friends for years, and watching their futile attempts to save each other’s lives is a heart-racing experience.

While the movie does not have a star, Bakare definitely stole the majority of the scenes he was in. This is most likely due to his close relationship with the alien, and the inner turmoil he struggles with after the alien turns on the crew. Rebecca Ferguson’s Miranda North is a close second, as the doctor tasked with establishing firewalls to protect the crew and Earth in the off chance that the alien shows signs of malevolence. The confidence Ferguson imbues in the character helps her from coming across like a villain.

One of the most shocking aspects of the movie is the decision to give the alien a name. By naming him Calvin, the crew almost humanizes the alien, something that is helped by Derry’s close relationship to the alien. It creates an unsettling feeling due to the childlike playfulness Calvin displays in the first 30 minutes of the film, only to see him turn into a murderous monster in the rest of the movie.

The concept, while used multiple times over, is given an intelligent and grounded makeover that elevates the content to more than just a space horror film. Rather than starting out focusing on the alien or on Earth, the audience is treated to a beautiful one-take shot that introduces them to the crew and soon to be death trap. The rest of the first act works to flesh out these characters so they do not fall into the usual horror tropes, a smart move that helps us care more for them.

The build-up throughout the first and second act would seemingly lead to an exciting finale. However, the final act falls flat due to an easily recognizable twist and a couple convenient coincidences. The twist, while meant to get the viewers talking after they leave the theater, did not add much to the movie, and weakened what was otherwise a good film up until that point.

Finale aside, the writing was tight thanks to the reliable duo of Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. While not containing the quick-witted banter and humor of their previous work, the writing succeeds in getting the viewer to buy into the character’s actions in these trying times. They do not fall prey to the horror movie tropes of making stupid decisions so that the movie gets to killing scenes quicker. Instead, the characters think through their decisions, trying to outsmart Calvin. It puts the viewer in the scene and helps them root for the characters.

The film works best when it leans into its horror roots. While not excessively gory, leaving most of that up to the imagination, it still leaves a sickening feeling. Every scene with Calvin becomes more intense as he grows and becomes smarter and more powerful. The director does a phenomenal job with the “less is more” approach, letting the actors work to convey the terror of their futile situation.

“Life” succeeds at telling an intense, yet derivative space horror film. For fans looking for a non-franchise piece, “Life” will definitely satisfy that itch. Although the film’s lackluster finale doesn’t do it any favors, the film still provides more than enough in good horror to make up for it. While not the best in the genre, the film is worth viewing due to the tense scenes and performances by the entire cast.

1. Ryan Reynolds is in this movie. I like some movies. I liked Suicide Squad…..and Deadpool. Ryan Reynolds was Deadpool. I think Ryan Reynolds should be in a Nicholas Sparks movie. Does Marvel own Nicholas Sparks? Could he write a Deadpool movie with Shailene Woodley. She is magical. I like her clothes. I like clothes in general….pretty clothes. There should be a clothes movie. I have blonde hair. Clothes.

2. A very well written review. Where before I was on the fence about seeing this movie, I am now more inclined to go check it out.