BUPD chief warns students about off-campus robberies

BUPD sends out an email Friday regarding four recently reported attempted robberies in the Allston/Brighton area. PHOTO ILLUSTRATION BY ABIGAIL FREEMAN/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Four attempted robberies have been reported in the Allston and Brighton neighborhoods over the past month, two of which involved a weapon being drawn. On Friday, the Boston University Police Department sent an email to the BU community, alerting students of the reports and reminding them to stay safe.

Acting BU Police Chief Scott Paré wrote in the email that although the incidents are occurring off-campus, they are happening in neighborhoods frequented by BU students, particularly on the weekends. He encouraged students to do their part to prevent these types of situations by always being aware of their surroundings and reporting crimes when they see them.

“Together, we share the responsibility for maintaining a safe environment,” Paré wrote. “We can help to improve our community’s welfare by reporting crime, unsafe conditions, and by assisting others. We recommend that you program the BUPD’s phone number and text tip number into your cell phone so they are readily available.”

He also listed a variety of safe habits students should engage in when out and about, in transportation or at parties, including never leaving drinks unattended and always traveling in groups.

BU spokesperson Colin Riley said despite the recent reports, BU is lucky in terms of being safely located.

“Fortunately, Boston is generally a very safe city, and the university is located in a very safe part of a safe city,” Riley said. “But that doesn’t mean anyone should take it for granted.”

Riley said that although the past several weeks have seen more attempted robberies than is typical, spikes in crime like this have happened before.

“We did have a spike a few years ago, and those individuals were caught and prosecuted,” Riley said. “We hope the Boston Police will be able to identify suspects and continue their investigation … particularly if [crime] continues in the area.”

Riley went on to echo Paré, saying that the most important thing students can do to stay safe is to be aware, no matter what the setting is.

“I’ll never be able to understand what makes someone commit a crime, but I don’t think this is anything new,” Riley said. “There are criminals, and we can’t close our eyes to that. I wish it wasn’t the case, but we just need to be alert.”

BUPD is dedicated to protecting all BU students, Riley said, but they don’t have jurisdiction to control what goes on off-campus.

“We would much prefer that students, members of the Boston University community and neighbors in the area, not become victims but we can’t patrol off-campus,” Riley said. “BUPD is only responsible for the BU campus, but we definitely want to warn students living off-campus to be safe, be aware and make good decisions. Safety should be paramount.”

Several students said despite the reports, they still think Allston and Brighton aren’t necessarily unsafe for students.

Shelby Sundquist, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences and the College of Fine Arts, said being in a potentially less safe neighborhood is the price students have to pay if they choose to live in cheaper off-campus housing.

“People are just trying to save money [by living in Allston], I would do it, too,” Sundquist said. “I think it might have to do with the part of Allston, as far as whether it’s dangerous, though.”

Joseph Woodward, a freshman in the Questrom School of Business, said he’s never personally seen anything dangerous in Allston, but that others might have different experiences.

“When I’ve been over there, even late at night, I’ve never felt unsafe,” Woodward said. “For a girl it might be different, but I definitely don’t feel unsafe.”

Chiara Sander, a first-year graduate student in the College of Communication, said living in places like these is just preparation for what students will face after graduation.

“I live in Allston, and I feel like it’s pretty safe — you just have to be aware where you’re going,” Sander said. “In general, I’d say Boston is pretty safe, especially compared to other cities. You’re going to be living out there someday, you’d best get used to it.”

Andrey Grashkin contributed to the reporting of this article.