7th Inning Stretch: 2017 Red Sox season preview

With David Ortiz now retired, the Dustin Pedroia is now the undisputed leader and face of the Red Sox. PHOTO COURTESY WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

Believe it or not, we are just days away from Opening Day 2017. Can you smell the Fenway Franks yet?

In this preview, I will break down each position and lay out some predictions.

Catcher

Last season, Sandy Leon was the primary backstop. In 78 games, Leon hit a surprising .310 with an on-base percentage of .369 and an OPS of .845. In short, Leon played much better than anyone could have anticipated. In fact, he was so good offensively that it had to be a fluke.

Though Leon may begin the season as the starter, the future behind the plate is Christian Vazquez. Though Vazquez, 26, has not hit well in his minimal experience, his elite defense and throwing ability will make him the starter before season’s end.

First Base

After a rocky start with the Red Sox, Hanley Ramirez is a new player and person. He will play a vital role in filling the hole left by David Ortiz. In 147 games last season, Hanley launched 30 homers and 111 RBI with an OPS of .866.

This winter, the Sox signed 2016 American League Gold Glove Award winner Mitch Moreland, who is slated to start against righties. Last season, Moreland smacked 22 homers and 60 RBIs. The Sox are in good shape at first.

Second Base

2016 showed how valuable a healthy Dustin Pedroia is. In 154 games, Pedey batted .318 with 15 homers, 74 RBIs and a .376 OBP. Pedroia continues to display elite defense, and he is now the longest-tenured member of the team. Look for Pedey to keep up his fight against Father Time. This is his team now.

Third Base

Going into 2017, third base belongs to Pablo Sandoval. While Sox fans complain about his contract and his weight, count me as a Pablo optimist. A sharp change in attitude and a trimmed waistline have been good starts, but a strong bat must follow. I don’t expect an MVP season from Sandoval, but 12-15 home runs, 60 RBIs and a batting average near .260 is reasonable.

Shortstop

The Red Sox have made it quite clear in recent seasons that Xander Bogaerts is staying put. He hit 21 dingers, 89 RBI, and a .294 average in his All-Star and Silver Slugger-winning season. At only 24, Bogaerts is still improving, and he can be a 30 homer/100 RBI player. Bogaerts is looking to run more in the coming season, and should be exciting to watch in 2017.

Outfield

The Red Sox outfield could be the best in the league with Andrew Benintendi in left, Jackie Bradley Jr. in center and Mookie Betts in right.

Benintendi is the top-ranked MLB prospect, and all signs point to superstardom for him. JBJ cranked 26 homers and 87 RBI in his first All-Star season in 2016. Though he was snubbed for a Gold Glove, Bradley is arguably the best defender in all of baseball.

Then we have Mookie. In 2016, Betts batted .318 with 31 home runs, 113 RBIs, 26 stolen bases, an .897 OPS and 42 doubles. Mookie was an All-Star, a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger winner, and the runner-up for MVP. He may be the face of the MLB soon.

Designated Hitter

While Big Papi’s bat and presence will be sorely missed, the Sox will adapt. The coaching staff can now use the position strategically, as most teams do, to allow position players to rest. Pedroia, Ramirez and Sandoval will all likely see time at DH. It will be strange to see a Red Sox team without their smiling leader, but regaining the ability to cycle players through DH and take days off from the field may enable the Sox to be a healthier team in 2017.

Bench

Brock Holt can play seven positions. Need I say more? With Marco Hernandez, Holt, Josh Rutledge, Chris Young and Christian Vazquez, the Sox have a deep bench. Hernandez has shown an ability to hit, and is a valuable late-inning defensive replacement and pinch-runner. Young is a solid fourth outfielder, and he hit .329 against lefties, with a .999 OPS. Expect him to see an uptick in playing time between the outfield and DH.

Starting Rotation

Boston sports history forever changed when the Sox acquired Chris Sale from Chicago. Sale has finished in the top six in Cy Young voting each of the last five seasons. His numbers are just unfair. Over his seven-year career, Sale averages an ERA of 3.00 with 225 strikeouts and a WHIP of 1.065. He may be the best pitcher on the planet not named Clayton Kershaw.

Oh, and the Sox also have the reigning Cy Young Award winner, Rick Porcello, and ace David Price. With the pressure on newcomer Sale, expect Price to regain his dominance, even if he misses the first month. Price avoiding elbow surgery is nothing short of a miracle.

With a combination of Eduardo Rodriguez, Steven Wright and Drew Pomeranz rounding out the rotation, the Red Sox have fantastic depth at starting pitching.

Bullpen

The bullpen may be the Sox’s weakest link in 2017. New addition Craig Kimbrel had a shaky start to his Boston career, but he is still an elite closer. The Sox traded for Tyler Thornburg, an under-the-radar set-up man who had a 2.15 ERA with 90 punchouts in 2016. Thornburg is starting the season on the DL, but he can be a huge asset down the stretch. Carson Smith, Robbie Ross Jr., Matt Barnes, Heath Hembree, Joe Kelly and others round out the pen. If Barnes, Thornburg and Kimbrel pan out as an elite back-end trio, the Sox bullpen could be a strength.

Quick Hot Takes

1. Of the three major awards — MVP, Rookie of the Year and Cy Young — the Red Sox will capture at least two. Mookie, Benintendi and Sale, I’m looking at you.
  2. Six Sox hitters will end with 25-plus homers. Mookie, Hanley, JBJ, Bogaerts, Moreland, Pedey, Benintendi, Sandoval — take your pick.
  3. The Red Sox will beat the Chicago Cubs in the World Series. Bring it, Theo Epstein.

Who’s excited for some baseball?