Lacrosse, Sports

Men’s lacrosse falls in Patriot League standings after second loss

Senior midfielder Cal Dearth continued to be the focal point of the Terriers offense, as he scored two goals to increase his team-best total to 22. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University men’s lacrosse team fell to Lehigh University on the road on Saturday afternoon, dropping its first road contest of the season.

The Terriers (9-2, 3-2 Patriot League) suffered a setback in their attempt to inch closer toward their first Patriot League title after a 10-6 conference loss to the Mountain Hawks (5-4, 3-3 Patriot League) dropped them to third place.

Attacker Tristan Rai notched a hat trick for Lehigh while fellow attacker Andrew Pettit scored two goals to bring his total to 26 on the season. On the other side, senior midfielder Cal Dearth scored twice and now has 22 goals this season.

The Terriers opened the game strong, commanding the offensive tempo with two goals in the first four minutes. Crisp passing and offensive pressure helped the Terriers maintain a 2-1 lead over the Mountain Hawks after the first quarter.

On the other hand, the second quarter featured a more aggressive Lehigh defense. Forcing eight turnovers and limiting BU to only two shots on goal, Lehigh controlled the second quarter on both ends. Furthermore, seven of the Mountain Hawks’ eight shots in the second quarter were on goal, three of which they converted into goals.

Facing a 5-3 deficit entering the second half, the Terriers came out looking to reverse the momentum in their favor. Third quarter play was more balanced, with close numbers of shots, shots on goal and saves coming from both ends.

However, the Mountain Hawks stayed composed despite the Terriers’ increased energy in the third quarter, as Lehigh’s stout defense forced an additional five Terrier turnovers, which led to three more goals on the other end.

Despite the even numbers, BU was only able to score one more goal in the third quarter and entered the final quarter entrenched in an 8-4 deficit.

Trailing by four goals in the fourth quarter, the Terriers mounted a much-expected offensive onslaught. Passing the ball quickly and effectively, BU successfully cleared the ball three times, contributing to 14 shots, eight of which were on goal.

Still, the Lehigh defense did not budge, allowing only two Terrier goals, while still forcing four more turnovers. Additionally, Lehigh recaptured possession several times, notching two more goals.

Despite BU’s frequent efforts to climb back into the game, the Mountain Hawks never let up and held onto their lead to claim their third Patriot League victory.

The Terriers experienced a similar loss three games prior, against another conference rival, Bucknell University. In that game, BU was trailing by a small margin going into the half. Coming out of halftime, the Terriers were pummeled on both ends and lost 10-6.  

In both of the Terriers’ losses, turnovers have also been a large issue. Against Bucknell (4-6, 2-4 Patriot League), they committed 17 and on Saturday they committed 22 against the Mountain Hawks. Their opponents, in both games, committed fewer turnovers.

“We turned the ball over too much,” said BU head coach Ryan Polley. “They have a lot of big, active players. We didn’t execute well enough. We just turned the ball over too much.”

Despite the ongoing struggles for the team, the hopes of winning the title are not out of sight yet. With a road game against league-leader United States Military Academy next Saturday, the Terriers have a full week to rest and prepare for what could be the toughest matchup of the season.

A win against Army (9-1, 5-0 Patriot League) is instrumental in determining the standing of the Terriers. Additionally, the Terriers will also need to defeat Loyola University Maryland, the league’s second place team, the following week in order to keep their chances of bringing home a Patriot League title alive.

In the interim, the Terriers will reflect on the loss to Lehigh and use it as motivation to propel them forward.