Field Hockey, Sports

Terriers improve to 4-0 with another weekend sweep

Senior captian Grace Boston provides leadership to the younger players. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Led by an outstanding defense and come-from-behind heroics, the Boston University field hockey team knocked off Ball State University and Miami University completing its second consecutive weekend sweep.

In the first game of the tournament on Saturday, the No. 16 ranked Terriers (4-0) knocked off Ball State University (2-2) 2-1, in a contest where the score failed to show the Terrier’s dominance.

BU outshot Ball State 17-2, while also earning an 11-1 advantage on penalty corners.

After trailing 1-0 after a tally by Ball State’s Sierra Jefferson, the Terriers capitalized on a corner chance when junior forward Kara Enoch redirected a shot by fellow junior Maika Akroyd at the 16:32 mark.

Enoch is the Terriers returning leading goal scorer and will be counted on as a veteran presence throughout the season.

After Enoch netted her first goal of the season, senior captain Grace Boston found the back of the net for the first time this year.

“I’m really happy that Grace and Kara got good goals today and it’s nice to get upperclassmen on the scoreboard,” head coach Sally Starr said.

With 3:25 remaining in the contest, junior Allie Doggett set up Boston’s game winning tally on a full-field dribble.

BU surrendered its first goal of the 2017 campaign, ending a shutout streak of 147:40 orchestrated by goalkeepers junior Kathleen Keegan and freshman Millie Baker.

Keegan, who has started three games, and helped the Terriers win just as many. Baker relieved in the second half, posting the third scoreless half to open her career.

“[Keegan] has really improved from her first two years. She really developed over this past spring and has been playing really well for us,” Starr said regarding her starting goaltender.

Baker started the season slightly injured according to Starr, but in recent weeks has been “really solid” and Starr  “feels fortunate to have two solid goalies.”

The Miami Redhawks (2-2) junior forward Paula Portugal put the Terriers behind for the second consecutive game to start Monday’s contest. Portugal’s fourth goal of the season came on a penalty stroke at the 45:00 minute mark.

Keegan started in goal again for the Terriers and made two saves in the first half. Baker relieved and after allowing the goal to Portugal, stymied Miami’s offensive attack with two saves.

BU ripped off a stretch of three consecutive goals scored by sophomore Hana Sinno, Boston and freshman Miya Denison to lead the Terriers a 3-1 victory.

This was Sinno’s first goal of the season and her first career goal. She missed all of her freshman campaign due to an injury.

Senior captain Kali Shumock, sophomore Kiley Gallagher and Enoch assisted on the goals respectively.

Traveling across the country during the holiday weekend also gave the young Terrier squad a chance to bond.

“Especially with a young team, forty percent freshman, we are in a situation this weekend where we have two really good contests to compete in and also opportunities to eat meals together and create more memories as a team. You know your team is going to eat and sleep well on the road and I like to have this opportunity with a young team,” Starr said regarding the benefits of a long weekend trip to begin the season.