Field Hockey, Sports

BU field hockey falters during weekend away games

Senior captain Grace Boston will look to help her team get back on track this weekend. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Boston University field hockey team ended their four-game win streak with a 3-1 loss on Friday in Albany against the University of Albany. Just two days later the Terriers suffered their second loss of the season in Amherst losing 2-1 against the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

In both defeats, the No. 16 Terriers (4-2) got on the scoreboard before their opponents in the first half, but could not account for both Albany (2-3) and UMass (4-2) taking advantage of penalty corner shots in the second half to outscore the Terriers.

On Friday, sophomore Kiley Gallagher’s unassisted goal was the first of the game for the Terriers at the 25-minute mark, as well as her first career goal as a Terrier. With a 1-0 score to begin the second half, Albany came back by scoring on three out of five corner shots.

Freshman Katie MacCallum scored at the 48-minute mark for the Great Danes before junior Frederike Helmke scored her first of two goals just two minutes following, and her second at the 67-minute mark to end the game 3-1 in favor of Albany.

Although BU took 11 shots as a team, compared to Albany’s seven total shots, the Great Danes made use of their six corner shot attempts while Boston was held just one corner opportunity.

“We need to be a little bit more poised in the circle, and balanced and getting off better shots and the goalies have made some good saves against us,” said head coach Sally Starr.

Junior Kathleen Keegan was in goal for the Terriers the first half saving one shot, while freshman Millie Baker saved one of four shots in the second half.

Albany’s goalkeeper redshirt sophomore Melissa Nealon worked the Terrier offense recording five saves in total.

Sunday’s loss in Amherst saw similar trends.

Freshman Ailsa Connolly scored the only goal for the Terriers just 22 minutes into the first half off of an assist from senior co-captain Kali Shumock.

The Minutemen scored on two out of four penalty corners in the second half. Sarah Hawkshaw scored first for UMass off of a corner to tie up the game at 53 minutes before a shot attempt off of a corner from senior Anne Dijkstra went off of a BU stick and into the net at 62 minutes to win the game.

“We’re disappointed in the execution of our corner defense and we absolutely could’ve scored more goals but overall they’re working hard and they’re competing hard and I think that in the long we’re going to be fine,” Starr said. “[Corner defense] has been a strength in our program and I have full confidence that it will become a strength again. We just need to drill it more and make sure that once it is drilled well that there’s discipline within the structure that we’re giving.”

The Terriers held the Minutemen to just one shot in the first half and outshot them 13 to five in total. BU was just less successful in finding the back of the net in their shot attempts.

Keegan did not face a shot in net during the first half for the Terriers before Baker took her place in the second half.

Redshirt senior Emily Hazard was in goal for the Minutemen saving a total of three goals.

Now with two consecutive losses, Starr looks to get back on a winning streak.

“They have a lot of good work to and will get better every day,” she said. “Come with a good attitude, work hard and get better every day.”