7th Inning Stretch: Don’t worry, David Ortiz isn’t going anywhere

David Ortiz will be a member of the Red Sox for life. PHOTO COURTESY KEITH ALLISON

Forever is a long time. It’s an intangible, eternal period, one that often serves as a form of hyperbole.

“Baseball games take forever, the Red Sox will be paying Pablo Sandoval forever, David Ortiz will forever be a member of the Boston Red Sox.”

Wait. That last one is not a joke.

Last week, the Red Sox agreed to a deal with Ortiz, securing his role in the organization indefinitely. No, he won’t be donning a uniform ever again. But David Ortiz will be part of the Sox forever. Seriously.

“I’m happy to be able to help the Red Sox organization I love in any way I can,” Ortiz said in the team’s official press release. “Whether that’s offering advice to a young player, helping convince a free agent that there’s no better city to play in than Boston, or representing the club in the community and with its partners, it’s great to be part of the Red Sox organization. It feels like I never left.”

Ortiz’s new job appears pretty vague. Essentially, he’ll do whatever he can to help out, short of pinch hitting. This type of contract is truly unprecedented. But then again, so is David Ortiz.

“For over a decade and a half, we have gotten to know what kind of man David is both on and off the field,” Red Sox owner John Henry said in the press release. “His skill and success on the diamond are rivaled only by his spirit, compassion, and big heart. I cannot think of a better representative for our organization. I’m happy we can now say officially what we have long known, David is family.”

During his 14 seasons in Boston, Ortiz left a legacy unlike any other. Along the way to three world championships, Big Papi evolved into one of the greatest hitters in baseball history and grew into a true icon. With countless clutch moments, monstrous home runs and a deep love for his new home, Ortiz quickly became as central a part Boston as clam chowder, Dunkin’ Donuts and the word “wicked.”

David Ortiz is Boston.

Although Ortiz’s new position in the organization remains largely undefined, retaining Ortiz is undeniably a blessing. At the least, fans and players will rejoice in having Big Papi and his big smile helping the team.

What’s the best-case scenario? With one of the best hitters ever, not to mention a successful and intuitive businessman, serving as a resource for hitters, the front office and ownership, the sky’s the limit. Whether Ortiz becomes a hitting coach, or just occasionally whispers ideas into executives’ ears, he’s an excellent person to keep around.

Beyond utilizing Ortiz’s sharp baseball mind and hitting prowess, this move by the Sox ownership also acts as a significant, and well-deserved, honor for the slugger. Teams do not give out lifetime contracts to just anyone. In fact, they rarely give them out at all. But, again, David Ortiz is no ordinary man or ballplayer.

While Ortiz’s achievements on the field amaze, and should be enough to propel him to Cooperstown and the National Baseball Hall of Fame, it is often his influence and work off the field that is most remembered.

Ortiz founded the David Ortiz Children’s Fund, which supports children in both New England and the Dominican Republic in need of critical pediatric care. The Fund partners with Massachusetts General Hospital for Children and the World Pediatric Project, and according to its website, has raised over $2 million for children in need, helping to save over 500 lives.

In addition to his philanthropic efforts, Ortiz ascended to a special role in Boston, one that few athletes attain (he even placed third in the 2013 Boston mayoral election).

Following the tragic Boston Marathon bombing in 2013, Ortiz became a de-facto counselor for the entire city. During a pregame ceremony on April 20, the Red Sox’s first home game after the bombing, Ortiz gave a brief yet iconic speech that will live in Boston glory forever. You know it as well as I do.

“Alright, Boston,” began an emotional Big Papi during that fateful speech. “This jersey that we wear today, it doesn’t say ‘Red Sox.’ It says ‘Boston.’ We want to thank you, Mayor [Thomas] Menino, Governor [Deval] Patrick, the whole police department for the great job that they did this past week.”

Then Papi uttered one of the most famous lines in the history of Boston sports.

“This is our f***ing city. And nobody’s going to dictate our freedom. Stay strong.”

I still get chills every time I hear that speech. That moment epitomizes what David Ortiz means to the Red Sox and to Boston. Yes, he was an exceptional baseball player. But more than that, and more importantly to Ortiz himself, he represents the heart of Boston. Although he may be a celebrity who’s larger than life, every Sox fan could feel like they knew Ortiz. He was a friend, a mentor, a healer.

In his retirement announcement video in November 2015, Ortiz said, “I would like people to remember me as a guy that was just part of the family.”

Well, Big Papi, you have certainly earned that, and so much more. We will be forever grateful for all that you’ve given us over the years. And now, you will be a part of our family. Forever.