Women’s soccer defeats Holy Cross 1-0, starts off Turnpike Trophy series right

Senior Christina Wakefield is one of the key players during the hot streak for the Terriers. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University women’s soccer team defeated the College of the Holy Cross by a score of 1-0 in the first matchup of the Turnpike Trophy series.

The Terriers (4-5-3, 2-0-1 Patriot League) continued their rebound from a rough start to the season, while the Crusaders (2-6-2, 0-2-1 Patriot League) have still struggled to find a groove so far.

Echoing head coach Nancy Feldman’s calls for increased aggressiveness on the attacking end, the Terriers fired 27 shots while putting 15 on goal.

Despite the number of opportunities the Terriers were able to create, they seemed to be up against a brick wall facing Crusaders goalkeeper Caroline Cashion. Cashion rebounded after the Terriers came out of the gate firing, finishing the game with a 14 saves.

From the opening kickoff, BU dominated time of possession, a theme that would carry on throughout the rest of the match. The Crusaders struggled to get the ball into the box, and were quickly dispelled by the Terrier defense when they were able to find a rare opening.

“We limited their time on the ball and limited their ability to serve balls forward,” Feldman said. “And when they did, I thought our backs did a good job dealing with that first ball by dropping on time and being ready for it.”

The Terriers’ dominance didn’t take long to come to fruition, and they notched their first goal in the 13th minute of the match.

Freshman midfielder Anna Heilferty pushed the ball up the left sideline, used some fancy footwork, and delivered a cross to senior forward Christina Wakefield. Wakefield rose up and headed the ball into the back of the net, giving the Terriers a 1-0 lead.

“The play went out wide to Anna from one of our center mids, and she dribbled up the sideline,” Wakefield said, adding, “I was just thinking to get in front of that goal, make that run. If no one makes that run, the ball’s just going to go over.”

The rest of the period played out in a similar fashion, as the Holy Cross defense struggled to contain the relentless Terrier attack. As the final seconds of the first period ticked off the clocked, the Terriers found themselves with an 11-0 lead in the shot department.

Wakefield commented postgame on the team’s uncanny ability to get the ball past the Crusader defense.

“The width, going wide, was a key that we wanted to really use. And getting it wide then probing around the box, moving it, waiting until there’s a gap to play to a center target or an outsider who could cut it right into the box and take a shot,” Wakefield said.

As the second period got underway, the Terriers continued to pepper Cashion with shot after shot, firing 16 more strikes at the goalkeeper. The Terriers were unable to break through as they did earlier in the match, but Feldman said she was still impressed with how her team stuck to their aggressive agenda.

“Our goal is to try to keep our standard and our level of play at the highest it can be based on us,” Feldman said. “And if we keep doing that everyday then you improve, and then your best self the next day or the next game is better.”

While Feldman said she wishes her team would continue to assert themselves as they move on to their next matchup against Lafayette College, she noted that she needs to be cautious not to overwork her team before Sunday.

“These midweek games and then weekends and travel, my job is to not overcook the players,” Feldman said. “Video can be very useful for that in teaching what we want to teach, rather than running them to death.”

With a fourth straight shutout victory now under their belts, the Terriers will now turn their attention to the rest of their conference schedule. Wakefield said she likes her team’s chances to continue their recent success.

“We’re a really great team this year,” Wakefield said. “And I really see great potential for us. I just can’t wait to see what’s going to come with it.”