Men’s soccer looks to keep perfect Patriot League run against Lafayette

Senior back Sheikali and the Terriers will look to remain unbeaten in Patriot League play. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s soccer team will hope to extend its win streak to three when it faces Lafayette College on Saturday in Easton, Pennsylvania. In three of their last four games, the Terriers (4-6-1, 3-0 Patriot League) have shutout their opponents.

BU will also have the opportunity to extend its perfect streak within the Patriot League if it can manage a win against the Leopards (1-9-0, 1-2 Patriot League).

Lafayette has lost its last two games to the College of the Holy Cross, who the Terriers beat on Wednesday night, and the United States Military Academy.

Historically, BU has a 3-1-0 record against the Leopards, having won their last two games by a 1-0 score.

During their midweek tilt, the Terriers scored three times against Holy Cross (3-5-2, 1-1-1 Patriot League) while shutting them out in the process for their fourth shutout of the season.

The goals were scored by sophomore forward Matt Mcdonnell on a penalty shot in the 13th minute, sophomore midfielder Satchel Cortet in the 22nd minute and sophomore midfielder Jerry Ozor in the 78th minute of the match.

These marked Cortet’s and Ozor’s first goals of the season.

Sophomore goalkeeper Michael Bernardi only had to save one shot. The Terriers’ defense was bolstered by senior back and Turnpike Trophy MVP honoree Adam Sheikali, who was a key reason for the team only allowing seven shots overall from Holy Cross.

In fact, BU head coach Neil Roberts praised the team for its solid defense and noted its importance in the team’s chances for success.

“We’re not going to be a very high scoring team so the only way we are going to be successful is if we are good defensively.” Roberts said.

On the other hand, the Leopards have only scored five times this season and suffered a 0-1 loss to Army (8-3, 2-1 Patriot League) on Wednesday.

While Lafayette senior goalkeeper Brad Seeber was able to defend a few good shots, one shot ricocheted off the goal post and got through him, resulting in the loss.

Despite the Leopard’s lackluster season, Roberts insists on the challenge of facing a team like Lafayette especially noting the risk of playing such a defensive team.

“Every game is different,” Roberts said. “Lafayette is different from Holy Cross. They’re a team that tries to be really conservative, even at home. So the key will be to go in prepared, to try to break them down without exposing ourselves … You still have to try to figure a way to get the goal without letting them get a goal [in response], so that’s where the challenge comes.”

BU has scored as many goals in the last two games as it has in entire season and the team will need another offensive surge to beat Lafayette.

Noting the Terriers’ success as the season progresses, Roberts attributes these latter victories to two reasons.

He said the first is better defense, which was lackluster in the beginning of the season. However, he noted the second reason had nothing to do with BU’s actual game, but the camaraderie between the players that has evolved as the season progressed and remains optimistic about his team’s future.

“It’s just the guys are getting to know each other and feel comfortable in their roles,” Roberts said. “Guys are getting healthy, [after] three or four came in injured in the preseason. It’s just starting to come together.”