BU ranked No. 1 for online big data degree

Students practice coding at Girls Who Code BU’s “Hack the Gap” event Sunday afternoon in the Trustee Ballroom. PHOTO BY VIGUNTHAAN THARMARAJAH/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

BU’s data analytics program ranked No. 1 Best Online Big Data Degrees for 2017 by Best Computer Science Schools — a website dedicated to evaluating computer science and technology education programs.

Knowledge of big data is in high demand in today’s technological climate, according to Best Computer Science Schools’ website. Many industries ranging from business organizations to government agencies require new and creative methods of large-scale data analysis and processing.

BU prepares its students for success in this field both in-person and online by offering master’s degrees in computer information systems and software development as well as an online graduate certificate in data analytics through the Metropolitan College.

“Students at Boston University benefit from small class sizes taught only by PhD-level full-time faculty,” the ranking stated. “Most of these professionals also have hands-on experience in their field.”

MET director of analytics programs Suresh Kalathur wrote in an email that the school’s programs were some of the first programs developed for online students. In fact, the master’s degree in computer information systems consistently ranks within the top five in the U.S. News and World Report’s online program rankings.

Kalathur, who teaches the foundations of analytics course in the college — one of the four courses of the data analytics sequence — wrote that the data analytics program is offered as a concentration in the MSCIS and MSCS programs.  

“The students take the core courses giving them the breadth of the degree and the concentration giving them the depth in the field,” Kalathur wrote.

Furthermore, the online courses offered by the college are developed by full-time faculty with the program’s instructional design and technical support from the Office of Distance Education.

Each online section of up to 15 students has its own facilitator, who works closely with their students to guide them through the courses and form strong student-teacher bonds, Kalathur wrote.  

Computer science professor Wayne Snyder emphasized the importance of teaching students how to correctly analyze and use data in all industries.

“We live in an era where data is being questioned, and this is ever more important,” Snyder said. “Companies are jumping on this big time.”

Snyder noted BU is investing in data education and plans to implement a machine learning program — a field of study dedicated to creating self-learning computers — next year.

He also said BU’s resources and investment in data analytics equips its students for success in the field, offering them access to real-life examples of data related to Boston for in-class analysis.

“We have access to a database generated by the city of Boston for some number of years, and it’s a huge amount of data,” he added.

Several STEM students said they attribute BU’s top ranking to the university’s high-quality teaching they have personally experienced.

Computer science major Alec Chan said he chose his major because he believes it is a crucial skill to learn in the digital age.

“We need people to understand how to create computers that can make people’s lives easier, increase people’s quality of living and connect each other when we are physically incapable of being in close proximity,” the freshman said.

Chan said BU’s computer science program attracted him because the program, though small, ranks high among other schools in the country.

“BU’s program appealed to me in particular because the computer science professors are some of the most brilliant and passionate humans I’ve ever met,” he said.

Another computer science student Mehek Kapoor said she was surprised by the ranking, as BU’s computer science department is smaller than many other schools.

Yet, Kapoor said she finds BU’s education, specifically the computer science department, to be quite rigorous and challenging, but still rewarding.

“Even though they make it near impossible to get an A sometimes, the professors are really good at what they do and care about our success a lot,” the sophomore said.

Kamilah Harruna, a freshman studying STEM in the College of Arts and Sciences, said the field’s growing relevance speaks to the importance of technology in today’s age.

“[The ranking] shows that BU is really taking the effort to make sure that our society is ready for the future,” she said.  

1. Hi,
    Thanks for sharing such a wonderful article with us
    We are expecting more articles from this blog