Walsh launches new office to aid former inmates

Mayor Martin Walsh launches the Office of Returning Citizens to support individuals returning to Boston after incarceration. PHOTO BY JENNA MANTO/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh announced the launch of the Office of Returning Citizens Friday, a bureau that will support citizens returning to Boston from all types of detention centers.

This office will work to provide resources for the 3,000 individuals who return to live in Boston each year after incarceration and help them take steps to rebuild their life in conjunction with Boston’s social services and local law enforcement, according to a press release from Walsh’s office.

“Everyone deserves a second chance and a fair opportunity at success,” Walsh said in the press release. “That’s why we’ve created the Office of Public Safety, and continued our commitment to opportunity with the Office of Returning Citizens. For those who have been incarcerated, accessing things like housing, jobs and healthcare can be difficult.”

Walsh appointed Kevin Sibley as director of the Office of Returning Citizens, who has 18 years of experience helping in human resources and program development, according to the release.

Sibley said in the release he looks forward to supporting the individuals who need this second chance.

I know the power a second chance can have on a person’s life,” Sibley said. He later continued, “I look forward to helping those residents who need a helping hand, giving them the resources they need to lead a positive life here in Boston.”

Officer Stephen McNulty said in an email to The Daily Free Press the Boston Police Department is ready to help the prisoners move forward in their new life through this new office.

The Boston Police Department believes in second chances and we stand ready to help those who are ready to help themselves as they transition back into the communities we serve,” McNulty said.  

Carlos Monteiro, assistant professor of sociology at Suffolk University, said a major road bump in aiding returning citizens is the limited coordination between governmental departments.

“One of the big challenges for re-entry in general is that there are a lot of different services that are not collaborating so if this is somehow an effort to collaborate or to get those different re-entry services to work under one objective then that would be really ideal,” Monteiro said.

Monteiro said the biggest thing a lot of inmates need after reentry is access to common necessities which were either provided for them or not deemed necessary within the criminal justice system.

“A major task for this new office is to figure out housing for a lot of them and to help them get back on their feet in terms of securing employment, securing housing and … struggles in mental health if that can be something that can help continue to give them the treatment they were getting while they were incarcerated,” Monteiro said.

Several Boston residents agreed with Walsh’s plan to help prisoners after being released and echoed it is hard for incarcerated citizens to return to their normal lives upon reentry.

Kat McLevey, 21, of Back Bay, said she hopes this program goes well because it can be helpful and meaningful for the incarcerated citizens returning after their sentence.

“The mental transition from being in isolation and battling with the stigma that still exists amongst our society is going to be a huge hoop to jump through,” McLevey said. “Rebuilding that stability and trust within the community can be challenging.”

David Silberg, 38, of Jamaica Plain, said prisoners have a lot of things eliminated from their lives after release and anything to help them reintegrate into society is great.

“It sounds like a really good program because not only do they often not have the skills that they need but also the punishments as well,” Silberg said. “These requirements make it difficult to get a job when you have to check that box and go public with the fact you have a record.”

Silberg said providing limited resources to returning citizens leaves them unable to properly adjust to society.

“It’s hard enough to get a job when you’re not in prison but it’s really hard to get a job when you have a record,” Silberg said.

Chelsea Cavanaugh, 21, of Allston, said it sounds like a great program because employment and reintegrating into society is a big challenge for incarcerated citizens.

“They go from being isolated to going back into society and feeling isolated,” Cavanaugh said.  “It’s hard to get employed and have a typical social life.”