American Protest: Someone please take Trump’s Twitter away

Twitter is a fun social media site that I often find myself perusing throughout the day, looking for entertainment or just seeing what my friends are up to. Recently though, I have been avoiding the app because of the constant stream of ignorant, uninformed politics I see on my timeline. The worst part about this ignorance, though, is the king of it all: Donald Trump.

Every time he tweets, I can feel a headache come on just thinking about all of the problems those 280 characters are going to create. Some of his most recent tweets — regarding Kim Jong-un — have been receiving a lot of attention especially, probably because they sounded like something a 13-year-old would tweet when their friend talked to the person they had a crush on during fifth period pre-algebra.

With his dramatic, volatile tweets, Trump has turned our country into a reality TV show. People view his Twitter not for policy updates or actual presidential tweets, but for entertainment. When I look at his tweets, I am genuinely saddened by his ability to make politics, and in turn America, into such a joke.

Twitter could be a powerful platform that Trump could use to endorse legislation, share ideas or announce somewhere he will be going. It should not be a platform for the president to rant about other world leaders. Sometimes I feel like scrolling through his Twitter is the equivalent of watching an episode of “Keeping Up with the Kardashians.”

The fact that he felt the need to retaliate to another world leader by calling him “short and fat” blows my mind. Is this his version of foreign policy? I have seen more mature tweets come from middle school girls.

I, along with most of the American public, do not really care that you were so offended that Kim Jong-un called you old, and we do not care to hear all the bad things you think of his physical appearance. Instead, I would like to see a tweet about how you intend on dealing with a country that is so anti-American, and often threatens to shoot missiles at us.

The purpose of his trip to Asia was talking about trade, but the North Korean nuclear threat was also a major talking point. I do not believe calling the North Korean leader fat will help with those nuclear tensions. Diplomacy is a not a word in Trump’s dictionary though, and his superiority complex and ego are too large to allow him to see how pathetic his tweets really are.

It is seriously concerning to me that President Trump still tweets like this. His constant use of words such as “haters” and “fools” in his tweets just demonstrates his immaturity and inability to act like a real president.

Can we just take a moment and imagine what it would be like if any other president used the word “haters” to describe people with differing viewpoints? It is laughable, but it is also the sad reality of our presidential expectations today.

Twitter is meant to be a platform for people to share their lives and interact with other tweeters, not for the president to complain about the North Korean leader saying mean things about his age. Trump’s viewpoint on how Twitter should be used is extremely warped. Just look at the way Obama tweeted as president versus the way Trump is tweeting now. It is a clear contrast demonstrating true presidential qualities, which Trump is severely lacking.   

I cannot imagine how it must look to other countries to see our president calling world leaders “fat” and calling Americans “haters.” It is beyond embarrassing, and I wish someone would take his Twitter away from him. Maybe then, he can work on enacting some real legislation instead of starting Twitter fights.

1. Yup yup yup. Perfectly said.