BU orchestra not noted enough

After almost three years of regularly reading The Daily Free Press, I’ve noticed that there is little, if any, coverage of the Boston University Symphony Orchestra. Even after Mark Holloway’s encouraging letter in October, nothing has changed. I understand that there are probably few DFP staff members who qualify as classical music critics, but even a small article publicizing an upcoming concert or a general overview of a previous performance would be greatly appreciated. As of right now, I would like to start a trend promoting greater recognition of such a talented group of students.

I offer my sincere thanks to all the musicians in the BU Symphony Orchestra. I want the orchestra to know that I have attended as many performances as possible since coming here as a freshman and will continue to do so long after I graduate. I hope they realize that their efforts do not go completely unnoticed, which might be difficult when half of the auditorium seats are empty.

I was amazed at the orchestra’s professionalism and intensity the first time I saw them, and they continue to amaze me. Last night’s performance of Mussorgsky, Bridge, and Debussy was no exception. I was absolutely enthralled the entire time.

To those of you who were too apathetic to attend, you also missed on one of the most intense and passionate soloists that I have ever seen. World-renowned cellist Andres Diaz had me captivated as he literally jumped out of his seat while playing. When he performs, the horsehair flies and strings pop. I nearly expected him to throw the cello to the ground and light it on fire, a la Jimi Hendrix. Watching someone put so much of his soul into a performance is simply incredible.

All of these concerts are free to BU students and located at the Tsai in the center of campus, so there is no excuse not to attend. Information concerning dates and times can be found on the BU website at www.bu.edu/calendar.

I look forward to seeing more of you at the next concert, and perhaps some coverage of it in the Freep.

Tyler Brezler UNI ’02