Muslim veiling custom for women reveals faith

In regards to Justin Lynch’s letter (“Not all Muslim women have choice” March 1), I think he needs to recognize that the context of speech greatly contributes to its meaning. When Yasmine Dabbous said, “People who don’t understand see the hijab as oppression, but for many Muslim women wearing the hijab is a personal choice,” she was quite aware of her audience (“BU commemorates International Women’s Day with celebration” Feb. 28). Dabbous was speaking at a Boston University event targeted toward BU students. She was speaking on behalf of herself, Sisters United, and other females in her situation (females living in a society where their hijab individualizes them from the norm). She was trying to correct common stereotypes because many Americans are not aware why girls cover their hair and are misinformed to the purpose of hijab.

Contrary to Lynch’s claim, “The Prophet Mohammed told his wives to veil themselves in public so they would not be harassed,” Islam tells women to hide their physical beauty from public view to allow people to focus on what really matters—her mind. Many people have their own reasons for wearing hijab, most of which stem from piety. Women in Islam are humble. Our beauty is our own; it is not for the public. Only a chosen few are allowed to view it. In Islam, women in the public eye should not be viewed as an object. It is sad to say but women are portrayed as sex symbols in society, in the media, and in almost any public place. Advertising classes today even teach, “Sex Sells!” When a woman covers her hair and body it helps people focus on her inner, not her outer beauty.

Islam is not just a religion; it is a faith. It is a way of life. People, at least in America, are not forced to be Muslim; however, many choose to practice Islam. My father always tells me, “The religion cannot be taken in parts, but only as a whole.” As a practicing Muslim, I believe in everything the religion restricts and allows, including the hijab. That is the definition of faith.

I just started to cover my hair last December 18. It was a decision that I made a while ago, and it was not easy. I was anxious to see how my classmates, co-workers, and friends would react to this change. As I had hoped, people took it rather well. The only negative type of comment I received wasn’t really an insult, but it just showed ignorance. People kept asking me who or what forced me to wear hijab. No one forced me. It was my decision. It bothered me that people, especially people that knew me, thought someone imposed this headdress on me. Dabbous, as well as all the other sisters of Sisters United, attended the event to help right these misconceptions.

The purpose of Sisters United, a new student club, is to provide a comfortable, social, and faith-aware group to help unite Muslim women on campus in a positive and accurate light. Being an extremely intelligent graduate student in the College of Communication who has spent many years outside of America, I am sure Dabbous was quite aware of her audience and chose her words with that in mind. She was not making a political statement, and nor did she wish to initiate a debate on oppression. Dabbous represented international women in America, not abroad. If one were to begin to argue or debate the issues abroad, it would NEVER end! For now, let us try to solve our own issues at home before we attempt to resolve those worldwide.

Nancy Khalil President of Sisters United at BU CAS and COM ’02