Musicians celebrate Wiesel’s accomplishments

Boston University professor, writer, scholar, Nobel Peace Prize laureate and Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel celebrated his 80th birthday with a concert in his honor on Sunday. About 50 people attended the event in Tsai Performance Center.
Organizers tapped into Wiesel’s love of music by providing melodies ranging from spiritual and traditional hymns to classical pieces throughout the night.
The celebration began with a stream of video birthday wishes from notable figures, such as actor Richard Gere and French journalist Bernard-Henri Levy. They thanked Wiesel, whose actual birthday is Sept. 30, for all he has done toward promoting peace and Holocaust remembrance. The children from the Elie Wiesel Foundation for Humanity in Israel included a song of thanks for Wiesel.
‘He challenged us to defeat injustice and rise against the silence,’ Sen. Hillary Clinton said in a video message. She thanked Wiesel for his ‘voice, example, leadership and friendship.’
Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Richard Holbrooke spoke of the time Wiesel led the U.S. Delegation to the 50th anniversary of the liberation of the concentration camp Auschwitz.
‘He is a living voice for the 6 million who have no voice,’ he said. ‘He is a living voice for those who cannot speak for themselves.’
The musical portion of the evening began when the BU Chamber Chorus sang ‘Hatikva,’ the Israeli national anthem, followed by a selection of Felix Mendelssohn songs.’
Wiesel told The Daily Free Press that his ‘love of music’ extended to his studies at the Sorbonne, where he learned to be a conductor. Wiesel said the celebration was a positive experience.
‘Everything was done with so much affection and talent, and I appreciate all of that,’ he said.
Concert host Caroline Stoessinger said Wiesel, who took violin lessons as a child, was ‘a musician at seven.’
Elie Wiesel Center Director Steven Catz said he thinks that Wiesel has had a positive effect on the BU community.
‘There aren’t many wise men in this world,’ he said. ‘It makes you want to sit at his feet and learn what you can. He is a great adornment to the community. He brings luster to the community. He is wonderful to the students and he loves his students.
‘When he gives a lecture to a thousand, he has the ability to make the students feel like he is speaking just to them individually.’
Wiesel expressed his love of teaching.
‘It is a privilege and a great joy to be here and teach young people,’ he said.
The festivities will continue at BU until Tuesday and then will move to Paris.

1. Marilyn Lipshutz

Hello Kristin,<br/> I thought your article about the concert was very good. However, I’m sure there were more than 50 people in attendance. I was surprised that this special event was not better attended but I’d say the auditorium was probably half full which would definitely be more than 50 people. Not sure how you arrived at 50 but I think it’s much too low a number and does not accurately reflect those of us in attendance. I know that tickets were given out and there were no extras .I’m sorry that the people who had tickets did not show up. They missed a very special event.Thank you. Marilyn Lipshutz mdl18@comcast.net