HalloEEK offers ghoulish tricks, treats

Donning black clothing and smears of black eyeliner, comedian and magician Dan Sperry said calling him a ‘Goth’ would be inappropriate, yet somehow it just seems to fit.
Sperry spoke recently to Northeastern University students about how he got into magic and ‘-‘- perhaps more importantly ‘-‘- what they were thinking at any given moment.
Hundreds of Northeastern students flocked to the doors of Blackman Auditorium Monday night to see the ‘Goth’ magician and comedian as part of the university’s ‘HalloEEK’ week-long activities promoting Halloween Friday. Sperry called on volunteers to participate in the show, reading the minds of three volunteers by successfully guessing the major city one woman was thinking of, the favorite movie of a man and the favorite musician of the third volunteer.
‘If I’m more personal, I feel like I appeal more to this type of audience,’ he said. ‘For other shows, I’m completely silent so I try to find a happy medium for the college shows.
Sperry, who is from Las Vegas, said he tries to perform once a month at college campuses.’
‘When I perform at a college, my show is more audience driven and I try to go for interactivity,’ Sperry said.’
Northeastern third-year student Kate Braner said Sperry was creepy and his magic was appropriately spooky for the occasion.’
‘The show is a good kick off for Halloween,’ she said.
The Gothic atmosphere reflected Halloween well, Northeastern second-year Katie O’Brien agreed.’
‘Magic shows are not that traditional anymore, they’re different,’ she said. ‘The act has grown a lot and is more interesting to more and more people, not just kids.’
‘I thought it was more of a comedy show with a touch of magic,’ Northeastern third-year Roxanne Dallaire said. ‘I thought the show was a little weird but he was really funny.’