Sports, Swimming & Diving

M. swim and dive stays unbeaten, women fall

The Boston University men’s swimming and diving team defeated Colgate University, 185-108, Saturday in Hamilton, N.Y., to remain undefeated in dual meets. The women’s team, however, suffered their first loss of the season, falling 190-108.

The men (4-0) started quickly, winning the 200-yard medley relay to open the meet. Sophomores Bryon Kallert, Kyle Ernst, Matt Rickett and freshman Jackson Hill touched the wall in 1:36.99. The team of sophomore Nate Everett and freshmen Justin Gilmartin, Sam Weinstein and Daniel Kempf managed a second-place finish just ahead of the Raiders’ top group.’

Junior Arik Seiler and Kempf took the top two spots in the 200-yard freestyle with times of 1:43.70 and 1:46.69, respectively. Seiler picked up another individual win in the 100-yard freestyle (47.51), while Hill touched the wall for second (47.81). Rickett earned an individual victory in the 50-yard freestyle (21.69).

BU coach Bill Smyth attributed the men’s short-distance freestyles to the number of talented swimmers on the team.

‘We’re doing better in the shorter freestyles because of our depth,’ Smyth said.

Gilmartin won his first individual collegiate event in the 100-yard backstroke (54.15).

‘I’m happy that Justin got his first collegiate victory. He’s been training harder than he has in his life and his hard work is starting to pay dividends,’ Smyth said.

Ernst claimed a victory in the 100-yard breaststroke (59.77). Kallert pulled off a win in the 200-yard backstroke (1:59.62), while sophomore Brett McKenzie touched the wall in second (2:01.22).

Ernst picked up another win in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:12.61), with sophomore Peter Lo finishing second (2:16.06). Sophomore Mark Nakanishi won the 500-yard freestyle (4:50.16) and Rickett took the 100-yard butterfly (51.75).

The men’s diving team continued its recent dominance, sweeping the top three spots in the one-meter and three-meter springboards. Senior Andre Watson, sophomore Tanner Knorr and senior Alex Caesar received scores of 362.78, 261.75 and 239.85 on the 3M, respectively, and marks of 319.65, 251.32 and 237.15 on the 1M.

For the women (4-1), the diving success also continued as seniors Tess Waresmith (281.85) and Alex Crerar (217.71) and sophomore Sarah Colton (215.77) swept the 1M. Waresmith and Crerar took the top two spots in the 3M with scores of 288.15 and 232.35, respectively.

Smyth said he is pleased with the success of the diving program and believes the women will thrive this year and beyond.’

‘Besides Andre [Watson] and Tess [Waresmith], all of our divers are contributing at a high level, and the emergence of our second-year women ‘-‘- Sarah Colton, Anne Holden, Bailey O’Brien and Anne Aldrich ‘-‘- will be very important as we get closer to conference [meets]. Those sophomores are the future of our diving program.’

Freshman Kristen Connors earned the Terriers’ only victory on the women’s side with a win in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:21.52) and placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:06.29). Senior Eve Kinsella took second place in the 200-yard freestyle (1:53.23) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:06.27). Junior Emily Munday earned a second-place finish in the 100-yard backstroke (59.51).