Boston Bikes steer the course

Boston is well on its way to becoming a bicycle-friendly city, Boston Bikes Director Nicole Freedman told over 175 people crowded into the Boston Public Library Thursday for the first annual Boston Bikes Update Report.

‘We are not the first city to start a good bike program, and that’s a good thing,’ Freedman said. ‘We took ideas from the top bicycle-friendly cities and are trying to incorporate them into our plans for Boston.’

More than five miles of bike lanes and 250 bike racks were installed in 2008, according to the report.

Livable Streets Alliance, which sponsored the Update Report, plans to install 250 more bike racks and secure funding for its bike share project, which will provide daily bike rentals from an outdoor vendor, Freedman said. Livable Streets Alliance is a nonprofit organization that advocates alternatives to automobile transportation, such as walking and biking.

Livable Streets Alliance is also working to install ‘artistic’ bike spots, which would act as bike racks, Freedman said.’ ‘

Bikes Not Bombs Executive Director Samantha Wechsler said the Boston biking network can improve when the stigma about biking in some neighborhoods is lifted. Bikes Not Bombs is a nonprofit organization that recycles bicycles.

‘[We need to] change the idea in certain communities that biking is an aberration for certain people,’ Wechsler said.

Northeastern University civil engineering professor Peter Furth said another obstacle to improving the Boston biking network is safety. When people do not feel safe, they do not ride on roads with more traffic, he said.

Furth said he and his students are working to create designs that will connect bicycle lanes and build more lanes on popular streets, including Commonwealth Avenue. Bike lanes, or greenways, are beneficial for the environment because they do not lead to exhaust emissions, unlike highways.

‘Links are needed to link the greenways and make a network,’ Furth said. ‘This network would make bicycling Boston’s new mode of green transportation.’

Bikes Not Bombs Grassroots Fundraising and Events Director Jasmine Laietmark said although the progress is slow, everyone is making a difference.

‘I think biking is the best way to get around Boston, but there are barriers,’ Laietmark said. ‘Livable Streets is creating huge improvements.’

Livable Streets Advocacy Director Charlie Denison said the organizations are focused on providing opportunities for all people to learn more about bike safety and become comfortable riding on the streets and greenways.

‘Bike paths can fill a gap and niche in places that are difficult to get to and make connection in and out of the city and neighborhoods to strengthen connections,’ he said.