Stationary cyclists (don’t) go the distance for charity

The icy wind whipped through Government Center Tuesday morning as six bicyclists pedaled to adrenaline-pumping hip-hop music, but the riders were not going very far – the bikes were stationary.

For every hour each rider pedaled, a donation of $250 went toward HomeStart Inc., a nonprofit organization working to help end homelessness in the Greater Boston area.

At HomeStart Inc.’s third annual fundraiser, ICycle, cyclists took turns riding their bikes all day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. in multiple hour shifts, individually and in teams. This was the first year the fundraiser took place at both Government Center and Dewey Square.

The $250 donation was required for each participant for every hour they rode the bikes even before they started pedaling. Boston Sports Clubs supplied the riders with more than twenty bikes for each location. Riders took to the stationary bikes in the hopes that their efforts would raise more than last year’s $65,000.

‘The more people who know, the more who can help out,’ HomeStart, Inc. board member Peter Dowd said.

HomeStart, Inc. works to end homelessness for hundreds of people a year, according to its website. The non-profit organization seeks to end homelessness and prevent future homelessness with the help of volunteers.

Christian Kurpiewski, who helped organize the event all three years, said the cyclists were very lively.’

‘We’re not about the money here,’ he said. ‘We’re a spirit crew.’

HomeStart, Inc. Development Coordinator Paula Kramer said the event would bring needed attention to Boston’s homelessness problem. She said with more than 7,000 homeless people in the Greater Boston area, more attention is very important to raise awareness.

‘It’s what would get the most visibility,’ she said.’

While the cyclists pedaled, other volunteers handed out pamphlets to onlookers to inform them of their goals and collected donations. Au Bon Pain, which helped sponsor the event, supplied coffee for the attendees. The Red Sox Foundation and Ropes & Gray also co-sponsored the event.

Bill Jewett and Bruce Gaffney, coworkers who participated in the event, said they have participated in ICycle for the past three years. Jewett said he rides a stationary bike every morning on his porch and rode for ICycle for two hours, instead of the regular participant’s one hour.

‘He’s Mr. ICycle,’ Gaffney said pointing to Jewett.

Gaffney said aside from the fundraiser being a good cause, it was also a good excuse for him to get out of the office. He said he doesn’t typically ride a bike, but made an exception.

‘We’re doing it out of the kindness of our hearts,’ Gaffney said.

1. I LOVE this picture!!!!!