Sports, Tennis

M. tennis bests Holy Cross, 7-0

The Boston University men’s tennis team picked up steam in its 7-0 win Tuesday against the College of Holy Cross as it heads toward the America East Tournament next Friday. The Terriers did not drop a single set and won all three doubles and all six singles matches in a swift victory on the Holy Cross courts.’

BU coach Rick Edelmann said the team started off in the right direction when it launched the match by sweeping all three doubles matches. Freshmen Regis Chang and Alex Green played third doubles and won, 8-1, in a standard eight-game pro set.

‘They played real well,’ Edelmann said.’ ‘It was very one-sided.’

Second doubles partners sophomore Bill Kring and junior James Bernstein pulled through, 8-7 (7-5), in a tiebreaker against Holy Cross senior Angelo Sica and junior John Burke, playing the closest match, but still managing to retain all of their sets.’

Staying true to the swift victory that defined the match, Kring and senior Charles Weinstein dropped only three games apiece in No. 3 and No. 5 singles, respectively, the fewest dropped games of the match. Weinstein ceded three games in the first set, but took control in the second with a 6-3, 6-0 victory, and Kring won 6-1, 6-2.

This match was the final regular-season match for BU’s three seniors, Miron Nissim (No. 2), Charles Weinstein (No. 3) and Tim Sichler (No. 4) before they set off for the tournament against the University of Hartford on Friday.’

Edelmann said despite a 3-15 record and a slew of lost home matches, the Terriers came out of two of the previous three matches with 7-0 victories, including a match against prospective opponent Hartford.’

‘But for the past home matches, no matter how good we were, some of the teams we played were really challenging,’ Edelmann said.’ ‘We’ve had a lot of close matches in the past and we’ve battled every match, but when it comes down to it, we’ve come up a little bit short.’

Last year, the Terriers plowed their way to the America East semifinals and lost to top-seeded Binghamton University. However, Edelmann said he is more optimistic now that the team has a few wins in its pocket.

‘We have a little bit of momentum heading toward the tournament, so hopefully we’ll do well,’ he said.’

The Terriers will face Hartford at Yale University in the America East Tournament on April 24.