Sports, Tennis

Terriers find success at Brown Invit.

The Boston University women’s tennis team continued its fall season success at the Brown Invitational this past weekend. Every BU player who competed in the tournament won their doubles match, singles match or both.

Brown University hosted BU, Auburn University, Boston College and Rutgers University in the three day invitational. This is only the second of five tournaments that make up the fall season, which focuses on individual and doubles performance, as opposed to a team’s overall record.

Sophomore Stefanie Nunic won 8-1 in the finals of her singles match against Rutgers, going undefeated over the three days and taking the Flight A championship title.

BU coach Lesley Sheehan said she was very impressed with Nunic’s strong performance, commenting that she is off to a great start, playing aggressively and is very fit.

‘Unlike last year I am having a really good fall season,’ Nunic said. ‘I feel stronger, more confident and definitely in better shape compared to last year when I first came in.’The invitational allowed an opportunity to test out new doubles teams, which are still not definite, but showed great promise for the future. ‘Our coaches are working hard to figure. . .out [doubles teams] so that we can start practicing with our partner and come up with a winning game plan,’ Nunic said.

Nunic and freshman Jessica Linero won the Flight A backdraw doubles with a score of 8-6. Sophomores Petra Santini and Monika Mical won the Flight A doubles with a few very big wins, finishing 8-6, against Auburn. Sheehan said the team as a whole has great depth with a lot of players who can play and compete well. She saw this invitational as great practice for the spring schedule.’We need 100 percent from everyone,’ Sheehan said. ‘On paper, we’re a strong team, but they need to perform.’

BU is facing difficulties early with injuries and a small team. Seniors and co-captains Francine Whu and Liz Corrao both had to withdraw from the tournament due to injuries, while two other teammates are recovering from surgery last season.

‘The fall season is always tough because although we only have a few tournaments, we play many matches a day,’ Whu said. ‘I know from experience that our bodies can break down quickly, so I just try to stay loose and take care of any injuries as soon as possible.

‘For the remainder of the fall season, the team will focus on regaining its health and stamina. On Oct. 23rd, BU will compete in the ITA Regionals at Yale University, along with every other team in their section. This tournament is the biggest of the fall season, and BU expects great success there.

‘We have a very strong and deep team, and we should be able to do a lot of damage in our schedule,’ Corrao said. ‘This year our team is capable of a very high ranking in the nation and pulling out wins in the NCAAs.’