Sports, Swimming & Diving

Swim teams perfect in weekend action in Vestal, N.Y.

The Boston University men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams were back in action on Saturday in Vestal, N.Y. for the first time since defeating the University of Maine at home on Oct. 24.

The BU men’s team (2-1, 2-0 America East) defeated Binghamton University (0-1, 0-1), 135-106, while the BU women’s team (3-0, 2-0) took down both Binghamton (0-1), 138-99, and the University of Vermont (4-2, 1-2), 164-78.

The men opened the event with a strong performance when junior Byron Kallert, junior Kyle Ernst, junior Matthew Rickett and sophomore Jackson Hill led BU to a win in the 400-yard medley relay with a final time of 3 minutes, 27.27 seconds.

Senior Tyson Slesnick continued BU’s dominant performance by winning the 1,000-yard free with a time of 9:53.09. Close behind Slesnick were teammates Benjamin Kaiser and Wyatt Collins. The senior and sophomore finished in second and third with times of 10:03.29 and 10:13.30, respectively.

Kallert followed up on his victory in the 400-yard medley relay with another first place finish in the 200-yard free, this time at 1:43.93. Teammate Jackson Hill followed suite by finishing first in the 50-yard free with a time of 21.72, after his first place finish in the 400-yard medley relay.

Sophomore Daniel Kempf finished in first place with a time of 47.97 in the 100-yard free. Following Kempf’s victory, Kallert won an astounding third race on the day when he finished in first place with a time of 1:54.56 in the 200-yard back.

After Kallert’s impressive third win, Ernst chipped in his own second win of the day when he took the 500-yard free with a time of 1.55.11. Wyatt and freshman Riley Kammer finished right behind Ernst, coming in second and third place with times of 4:57.09 and 5:00.46, respectively. Slesnick capped off the day for the Terriers on the men’s side of things when he won his second race of the day with a first place finish in the 200-yard breast with a time of 2.11.49.

On the women’s side, freshman Kara Zebrowski, sophomore Kristen Connors, senior Emily Munday and senior Maria McIntyre started things off for the Terriers with a first place finish in the 400-yard medley relay with a time of 3:54.71.

McIntyre then followed up her victory in the 400-yard medley relay with a first place finish in the 50-yard free with a time of 23.79 seconds for BU’s second win of the day.

Following McIntyre’s second victory, sophomore Amanda Schmitz took first in a close 200-yard individual medley, finishing with a time of 2:09.98.

Then in the one-meter diving, freshman Melinda Matyas, junior Sarah Colton and junior Bailey O’Brien swept first, second and third place each with scores of 264.55, 235.10 and 226.55, respectively.

After the diving, freshman Katie Radin, took first in the 200-yard back with a time of 2:09.41.

In the 500-yard free, Schmitz contributed her second win of the day when she came in first place with a time of 5:05.17. After already sweeping the one-meter diving. Matyas, Colton and O’Brien capped off BU’s day when they followed Schmitz’ second win with their own second victories by sweeping the three-meter diving. Matyas finished in first again with a score of 276.15, Colton in second with 228.50 and O’Brien in third with 194.55.