Bad press not affecting internship prospects for BU students

Despite the recent negative press surrounding Boston University, officials said students in search of jobs and internships may not be affected.

“I think we’ve seen increased activity from employers this year,” said Eleanor Cartelli, associate director for marketing and communication at the Center for Career Development.

Despite charges against two hockey players for sexual assault among other incidents, employers remain interested in recruiting BU students.

“I think [this is] because more employers are in a position to have more positions as the economy is recovering,” Cartelli said.

Employers need only look at their employees who are BU alumni to see the skills graduates bring to the work force, said BU spokesman Colin Riley.

“Employers are looking at their current employees that are BU alums, they know that these are outstanding, well-educated, creative, talented, hard-working individuals,” Riley said. “They see the courses and the achievement level in their work.”

Riley said it is important to remember the media serge represented a select number of individuals, not all of BU.

“At the end of the day, everyone realizes they’re looking at a very small number of individuals who have been in the headlines,” Riley said. “The school is handling it consistently as we do any violation of the code of student responsibilities.”

Patrick Monaghan, vice president of operations at InkHouse, said a school’s reputation would not affect a student’s performance in the marketplace.

“We are a public relations agency and [BU has] a great school of communication and public relations program,” Monaghan said.

InkHouse is based in Waltham. The company will be one of 90 employers present at the Just-in-Time Career Fair April 23.

“All universities have their challenges, and I don’t necessarily believe that it affects the ability of the students to potentially perform in the job market,” Monaghan said.

College of Arts and Sciences junior Catherine Conlin said she does not think BU’s negative portrayal in the media will hinder her chances of getting accepted to a medical school across the country.

“Maybe if I [applied] in Boston, if I had a job in Boston, but I’m from North Dakota, so I don’t know if word would get back up there,” Conlin said.

The negative press had more personal repercussions for Vickie Ha, a Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences freshman, she said.

“I have a lot of younger cousins who are in high school, and they’re applying to college and . . . [saying], ‘Oh, I don’t know if I want to apply to BU with everything that’s been happening,’ Ha said.

Regardless, Ha said any bad reputation BU might be getting is not affecting job prospects.

“I know one friend was trying to apply to dental school,” Ha said. “She’s only heard back from one school, but I don’t think it’s because of BU’s [reputation]. It might have just been her grades or her experiences.”

School of Management sophomore Mike Musi said the number of employers attending the upcoming career fair will be indicative of where BU stands.

“I guess it might be telling to see how many employers show up as compared to other fairs,” Musi said. “Other than that, I haven’t been able to notice a big impact.”