Suspended BU fraternities look to regain official status

Several Greek Life organizations, such as Zeta Beta Tau, will attempt to assimilate back on campus after being suspended last semester. GRAPHIC BY MIKE DESOCIO/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Several fraternities whose official status on campus has been compromised are taking measures to assimilate back into the Boston University community.

In Feb. 2014, Zeta Beta Tau was suspended after four members were arrested on charges of keeping a disorderly house and violating terms of their probation. Prior to their suspension, the Boston University Police Department responded to two complaints, one of which led to the chapter’s suspension, of large parties held at an off-campus function that members of ZBT were involved in planning, hosting and serving alcohol to minors.

As of the start of the fall 2014 semester, ZBT has been placed on probation status. They are allowed to take part in community service, philanthropy and recruitment, but they are being monitored carefully.

“Zeta Beta Tau is taking steps to rebuild their chapter after their national office performed a member review,” said Connor Walsh, president of the Interfraternity Council, in an email. “[The] Council and BU have agreed on a decision to keep them on campus this semester and to work with IFC during their recruitment process to rebuild.”

Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore said to his understanding, ZBT has been “whittled down” to six members, undergone a full member review and seen a change in the fraternity’s leadership.

“They’ll be involved with all the sorts of things that are about recruitment, and they’ll try to move their organization forward,” he said. “They’ve got a number of educational programs, training programs for their membership that they’ll be doing over the course of the first semester.”

Sigma Chi was suspended over the summer after the Dean of Students’ office received an anonymous complaint in July about a hazing activity took place in Nov. 2013. Elmore said he has been in contact with the fraternity’s national organization and is investigating the complaints.

“I am still putting together the final notes as it regards our investigation about the activity that we were informed about this summer,” he said. “They have to cease their operations until I get back to them, and I’m working on some final details about that.”

In March 2013, Sigma Alpha Mu was placed on indefinite suspension following the death of BU freshman Anthony Barksdale III, who passed away after being transported to St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center from an off-campus Sigma Alpha Mu function.

“We don’t want them to use the BU name or any spaces or resources, and we no longer recognize them,” Elmore said.

Overall, Elmore said he encourages students to join any club or organization they want to be a part of, as long as they are happy and remain safe.

“For some students, being in a fraternity or a sorority is a very good experience for them,” he said. “…As long as people are moving forward with their organization and not violating the law, they are welcome at the university.”

Walsh, a College of Engineering senior, said fraternities at BU are pushing to overcome the negative stigma sometimes associated with participating in Greek life.

“Our members are very dedicated to the entire BU and Boston community and have put strong emphasis on their chapter service and philanthropy events,” he said. “We have raised tens-of-thousands of dollars for others, and we are trying to break our academic standards and to be more transparent about the activities that are done on campus.”

One of the IFC’s main priorities is fostering positive relationships with other members of the BU community outside of Greek Life, Walsh said.

“As groups of motivated young men, we also try to elevate our community service hours each year and also to bring in other members who embody a positive attitude,” he said. “Rather than focusing on our own social characteristics, we believe in finding pride in our achievements and constantly try to help shed some light on all that has been accomplished.”

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article listed Connor Walsh as the IFC Public Relations Chair, rather than the President. The article has been updated to reflect this change.