Men’s soccer looks to regain momentum against Raiders

Senior forward Dominique Badji leads the Terriers with seven goals this season. PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s soccer team will look to maintain its spot at the top of the Patriot League standings when it takes on conference foe Colgate University Wednesday night at Nickerson Field.

The Terriers (10-3-2, 5-0-1 Patriot League) come into the match as the only unbeaten team in the Patriot League, with the United States Naval Academy right on their heels with a 5-1 conference record.

Despite their impressive standing, BU is coming off two disappointing games, a 3-1 loss at Boston College on Oct. 21 and a 1-1 tie at Loyola University-Maryland Saturday. The loss to the Eagles (5-6-3) snapped a nine-game unbeaten streak that started on Sept. 13 against the University of Massachusetts-Amherst.

After the two recent stumbles away from Nickerson Field, the Terriers will look to get back to their winning ways against the underperforming Raiders (6-7-2, 2-3-1 Patriot League). BU coach Neil Roberts’ squad will take some comfort in a return home, where the team boasts a 6-1-1 record on the year.

“We’re happy we’re home, where we’re familiar with the surroundings,” Roberts said. “We have two games at home coming up, and we’re looking to use that to our advantage for sure.”

The Terriers have been battling injuries for a significant part of the second half of the season, and Wednesday’s game against Colgate will be no different. Deciding if senior forward Dominique Badji, who is fourth in the Patriot League in points with 17 , will play is a game-time decision, Roberts said. Sophomore midfielder David Asbjornsson, who has made significant contributions to the team throughout the season, will miss the game due to injury.

BU has seen many players step up their game this year in the wake of costly injuries.

“We’ve done well with it,” Roberts said. “We’ve been fortunate that our injuries have not been serious like last year, and guys have stepped up and done well. Guys have stepped up.”

The stellar play of two-time Patriot League Corvias Defensive Player of the Week Kelvin Madzongwe has been a major help to the Terriers this year. The senior defender missed two games due to suspension and injury, which was during a stretch of games where the Terriers unbeaten streak snapped.

“He’s an experienced player back there, and he helps a lot,” Roberts said. “We have two freshman backs playing pretty regularly, and he just gives them a lot of experience which is good.”

Another player who has stepped up his game this season for BU is senior midfielder Jordan Barker. In recent weeks, he has taken some of the offensive burden from Badji and is tied for second on the team with 10 points on the year.

The game against Loyola (5-6-3, 2-3-1 Patriot League) on Saturday was the first time the Terriers dropped points in a conference game. Sophomore forward Felix De Bona connected for his third goal of the year off a pass from Barker in the 14th minute. The Greyhounds tied it up in the 90th minute off a header from senior Joseph Cahalan. Despite the tie, the Terriers were able to get a point from the match.

Colgate is coming into the Wednesday game after settling for a 1-1 tie with Bucknell University Saturday. Despite their record, the Raiders are looking to continue their three-game unbeaten streak.

Offensively, Colgate is led by midfielder Ethan Kutler. He leads the team in goals with 11, and the second highest goal scorer is forward Zach Pagani, with two. Kutler also leads the Patriot League in total points with 27.

“They obviously have Kutler, who scores goals for them, which is key,” Roberts said. “And they’re also very good defensively. They don’t give up a lot. Any conference game whether you’re home or away is going to be a battle. We’re trying to finish where we want to finish in the league, and they’re trying to make sure they get into the playoffs, so it should be a very competitive game.”

Nick Neville is a junior in COM studying journalism and the Sports Editor of the Daily Free Press. When he's not making a paper on Beacon Street, you can catch him working as a Sports Correspondent for the Boston Globe or helping to produce BU's only professional sports talk show, Offsides. Follow him on Twitter: @n_nebs95