REYNOLDS: Silence Speaks Louder Than Words

Friday was the National Day of Silence. For those of you who don’t know, the Day of Silence is a day where students remain silent to call attention to anti-LGBT bullying and harassment in schools.

National Day of Silence is a completely student-run action and campaign, created by students at the University of Virginia in 1996. Now it is sponsored by the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN), while still remaining true to its student-run roots.

I didn’t participate in it this year, because I don’t have class on Fridays, but I have participated in years past. The Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) at my high school organized it each year, tabling in the cafeteria with print-outs of cards explaining what the day was and giving out little rainbow ribbons.

The cards were also your ticket to being silent during class. If a teacher or friend asked you something, instead of answering, you would give them the card to read. Some people taped the card to their shirts to make things easier.

I participated in Day of Silence my sophomore year of high school. I was dating a guy at the time, and he participated, so I joined him. When I do things, I like to go all out. So I ended up wearing masking tape with the word “SILENCE” written across in big, bold letters over my mouth the entire school day.

At my school, everyone who participated in Day of Silence was allowed to skip the last class of the day to go to an assembly, organized by the GSA. Everyone would break the silence at once by screaming and then we would talk about LGBT bullying and harassment and there would usually be guest speakers.

Some people would only really participate because it meant that they could not have to answer questions in class and get out of their last class of the day. Even if that was the case, I hope they took something away from participating and from attending that assembly. Something as simple as not using a homophobic slur, whether it is in jest or as an insult, will make the classroom safer for everyone.

I participated again junior year, although on a smaller scale. Senior year, the Day of Silence wasn’t really organized well because the GSA was small and had new leadership. It was sad, because it’s not like the Day of Silence was this huge event in my school to begin with. Maybe a few hundred kids participated or at least attended the assembly at the end of the day (my school had almost 2,000 students).

Some people have a hard time grasping why you would be silent if the movement is about awareness and education. It seems counterproductive to be silent for a cause you care about. However, it’s about making a statement. It’s about spreading awareness for both teachers and students about how LGBT youth are treated in the classroom.

Silence is important because teachers and students are shown that if LGBT harassment and bullying continue and is allowed, these are the voices that are being silenced. These are the people, your peers and students, who are being affected. These are the students and the voices you could lose if the bullying and harassment is allowed and goes too far.

I think it’s important to be silent because clearly speaking up hasn’t done anything yet. And not everyone can speak up. Not everyone has the words. Some people, like my high school self, are able to participate in Day of Silence but are too afraid to speak up against LGBT harassment or come out in high school.

Silence can be safer than words. People might bully you into trying to talk, but if you are like me and non-confrontational, it can be a relief to know there is a reason to stay silent in the face of tormenting. I was lucky enough to not have to face this much in high school.

Also, being silent unites students in solidarity. It shows LGBT students how many people care about them. Knowing that you are participating in a non-violent, student-run action is empowering because you are a part of something larger than yourself.

People can talk and ask questions and be educated the other 364 days of the year. Day of Silence is a meaningful action to unite students in power and bring us one step closer to achieving an accepting and safe environment for all students in the classroom. Day of Silence can be used as a starting point to create conversation, but it’s important to remain silent for the day to acknowledge all of the voices silenced throughout the rest of the year.

Day of Silence is empowering and can be an LGBT student’s way of coming out or be their first step into LGBT activism. Too often, LGBT students feel isolated, alone and targeted in the classroom. Day of Silence helps combat the bullying and harassment faced by students in schools and unites students together to create a safe space for everyone.