SG allocates funds for new chapter of Women in Business student organization

Boston University Student Government President Andrew Cho addresses students during the Senate meeting Monday night. PHOTO BY BETSEY GOLDWASSER/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Student Government voted Monday to submit a funding request to the Student Activities Office for a new Boston University chapter of the national student organization Women in Business.

At a Monday night’s SG meeting, senators allocated sum of $500 to BUWIB, or half of the initial $1,000 proposal, to be recommended to SAO for the new chapter. If SAO approves the request, BUWIB will use the funding to create an introductory event to garner support and interest in building a network that would support young female professionals in their career pursuit.

Iveta Stantcheva, president and co-founder of BUWIB, said while presenting the proposal that female empowerment is important to the success of women in higher education.

“We are seeking to empower women by creating networking events and instilling confidence,” the junior in BU’s College of Arts and Sciences said.

Julia Haas, a representative from herNetwork BU, a networking club that also aims to educate and empower women, said BUWIB would have a similar mission, and allowing both groups on campus would create confusion for the student body.

“When we heard about the proposal of a new BU Women in Business Club, we were excited to see that other females on campus were eager to help out the BU women,” Haas said after the meeting. “We both have a strong emphasis on creating an empowering network and helping BU women gain the skills and confidence needed to start their career.”

Haas, a senior in Questrom School of Business, added that she would like to see BUWIB and herNetwork integrated into one entrepreneurial club for women on campus.

“We only offer recommendations,” said SG President Andrew Cho, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences. “It is the SAO that actually makes the final call, and so it is possible they might deny them as well.”

Stephen Chang, senate chair and senior in CAS, said that BUWIB is a “great group and a great way to be involved,” and encouraged the formation of new student groups at BU.

“[BUWIB] got a partial funding, and it’s a success on all of us,” he said. “Women in Business really contributed to that. We do have each committee back at work again, where we can interact with our constituents, represent students properly, such as the Women in Business, [by] reaching out and communicating to the public.”

Several senators expressed mixed views on the budget amendment and possible future collaboration between BUWIB and herNetwork BU.

Senator Clement Le Jamtel, a senior in CAS, said he thinks both groups still have different traits.

“I was surprised that there was arguing between the groups,” he said. “Women in Business was more of a business approach and the herNetwork was more of general, but I think that having if they can collaborate it will be more efficient”

Josh Liebowitz, a junior in the College of Engineering serving as his college’s senator, said $500 is an adequate amount to support Women in Business’ introductory event.

“The two groups have to have equal opportunities,” he said. “The groups need to take advantage of whatever situations are in front of them to the fullest.”

Anushka Pinto, a junior in CAS representing her college, said she thinks that Senate should have given the full amount of budget proposed because it would only be a fraction of SG’s $47,000 annual budget.

“It is important for us to support our fellow peers,” she said. “You can have more than one [group] and still convey the same message across and create a broader network that students can join.”