Strong goalkeeping, balanced offense pace streaking men’s soccer

PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO
Junior goalkeeper Matt Gilbert sports four shutouts in 2015. PHOTO BY MICHELLE JAY/DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s soccer team has not been beaten in last four contests, and the surge could not have come at a better time as the Terriers opened league play last week.

On Saturday afternoon, in wet and windy conditions caused by the oncoming hurricane, the Terriers (6-2-1, 1-0-1 Patriot League) took on American University. Coming into the game, the Eagles (6-4-1, 0-2 Patriot League) boasted a top-10 offense in the nation, but junior goalkeeper Matt Gilbert did not let that get to him.

Gilbert dealt with a lot of pressure, as American leads the Patriot League in shots per game, but he collected every Eagles shot on goal for a season-high eight saves. Additionally, Saturday marked Gilbert’s fourth shutout of the season and second in as many games. BU coach Neil Roberts said he was impressed with how Gilbert handled adversity against American.

“Matt played really well,” Roberts said. “It was under very difficult conditions, between the weather and the fans. Plus he had a stomach bug, which made it very difficult for him. He almost didn’t come out for the second half and he was able to hold his concentration and do a really good job. … It was a very solid job under the circumstances for him.”

Gilbert has been solid in net all year for the Terriers. He has played every minute for BU between the pipes and has allowed multiple goals only twice this season. Since BU played Princeton University on Sept. 19, Gilbert has recorded three of his four 2015 shutouts. Through nine games, Gilbert’s .840 save percentage is fourth-best in the Patriot League.

Felix De Bona back in form

Junior forward Felix De Bona’s goal was the difference-maker in the Terriers’ 1-0 victory against American on Saturday.

In the fourth minute of play, freshman midfielder Adam Wright set De Bona up for his fourth goal of the season. Prior to the contest, De Bona had stagnated, having been held out of the point column for five straight games. His early goal was the only scoring for either team as the Terriers kept the offensively-inclined Eagles from scoring for the full 90 minutes.

Although most of the headlines early this year have gone to sophomore midfielder Anthony Viteri, De Bona has quietly put together a nice season. He trails the St. John’s University transfer in both goals and assists by just one, yet his shots on goal percentage is more than 15 percent higher than Viteri’s. Nearly half of his shots are on net this season, and he’s burying them every time he gets the chance. Roberts made a point to mention how he has progressed over his time at BU.

“He’s doing a much better job this year than he’s done in the past with his movements, getting free, losing defenders,” Roberts said. “Now it’s just a matter of getting consistent as a group with getting him services. That’s what we’ve been working on and it’s coming.”

BU trendsetters atop Patriot League

With the win over American on Saturday, the Terriers moved into first place in the Patriot League. While BU, Lafayette College and the College of the Holy Cross all have four points in the standings, BU wins the tie-breaker because of its overall win percentage.

The Terriers are among the top three in the conference in nearly every offensive category, including points, goals per game, assists per game and goals allowed. In order for them to stay on top and reach the Patriot League Tournament again this season, they will have to play well on both sides of the ball.

In its next contest, BU will be put to the test, as it will be going up against one of the Patriot League’s top scorers in Colgate University’s junior Ethan Kutler, who ranks fourth in the league in points.

Roberts admits that, although it is early in league play, he still believes his team has room to improve, mentioning the strides they have made on defense, including the play of senior midfielder Richie Robinson and sophomore midfielder David Amirani.

“Defensively we’re getting much better,” Roberts said. “A lot of that has to do with Richie Robinson and David Amirani. The three backs are really starting to work well together, covering for each other, and now we have to get consistency with that.”

Once they get that consistency, Roberts said, the Terriers will continue to get better.

“As our backs get more experience and as we play more and as long as we stay focused and come out with the energy that we’ve come out with in the last couple games,” he said, “that will give us an opportunity to develop.”