Men’s basketball trumps Colgate, wins seventh-straight game

Sophomore Cheddi Mosely recorded his first-career double-double. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

As has so often been the case during its seven-game win streak, the Boston University men’s basketball team squeaked out a razor-thin 71-68 victory over Colgate University Wednesday night at Case Gym.

Four Terriers (17-11, 10-5 Patriot League) finished with double-digit point totals, with sophomore guard Cheddi Mosely leading the way with his first career double-double. 

“I didn’t even notice I had 10 rebounds until [senior forward] Nate [Dieudonne] told me after the game,” Mosely said. “It’s pretty cool. It’s my first career double-double so I’m enjoying it.”

Ever since Dieudonne went down in a Feb. 10 win over American University, the Terriers have had to change their team philosophy. However, that has not interrupted their win streak. BU out outrebounded the Raiders (12-14, 8-7 Patriot League) 42-34 despite Dieudonne’s absence, with six players grabbing three or more boards.

The game was not all positive for the Terriers, however, as they shot only 6-for-23 from 3-point range — an area they’ve excelled in all year. 

“They were giving us those shots,” said BU head coach Joe Jones. “To be honest with you, that surprised me. We were taking them, but we weren’t making them. I feel like we’re the type of team that if we make a couple, we can go on a run, so we want to keep those guys aggressive.”

Jones acknowledged that his team could be more efficient in the paint, as the Terriers often do not have to rely on success down low to compete in games.

“The one thing is, we can probably try and get the ball inside a little bit more,” Jones said. “Maybe get it moving a little more and then take it, instead of just coming down off one pass and taking it. Those are the ones that are a little hard sometime. To be honest, we haven’t been talking too much about it because it’s been working.”

Though the Terriers converted 49.1 percent of their shots in the first half, there was never a cohesive game plan. Due to Dieudonne’s injury, BU was open to 3-point shots yet only drained 25 percent of its efforts from range.

Senior Austin Tillotson dominated in the first half, scoring 19 of his 28 total points. He also finished a perfect 5-for-5 from 3-point range and chipped in three steals.

The two teams played an even game until BU took a 29-24 lead on a layup from junior forward Dylan Haines, looking to pull away. Tillotson quickly killed the Terriers’ momentum, as he hit three consecutive 3-pointers to give Colgate a 33-31 lead going into the half.

The Raiders’ lead did not last long, as BU went up 37-35 on a Mosely layup with 16:43 left, and a close affair followed thereafter. The Terriers took the lead for good at the 8:09 mark on sophomore forward Nick Havener’s free throw, which made the score 52-51.

Havener finished the game with 10 points, seven rebounds, three blocks and three steals even though he only he had two rebounds and one steal at the half.

“In the second half, we really kicked it in and obviously played great,” Jones said. “Nick Havener was terrific in the second half, took the game over just with his energy. And Cheddi Mosely, with 15 points and 10 rebounds, really stepped up. We’ve been able to outrebound people while playing smaller and not playing with Nate out there.”

The Raiders kept the game close throughout, but never caught the Terriers. A late free throw from Mosely with nine seconds left effectively ended the game even though Raider forward Jordan Swopshire made a late 3-pointer to pull within three.

Freshman guard Kyle Foreman missed four of six possible free throws within 25 seconds left, but the Terriers ultimately pulled out the victory.

“All the adversity they’ve faced with their injuries has really increased their toughness this season,” said Colgate head coach Matt Langel. “Players who weren’t contributing a lot were forced into action and played well, and they’ve found a way to win. And that’s become their identity.”