Kilachand Honors College director announces resignation

In a Friday email sent to the Arvind and Chandan Nandlal Kilachand Honors College community, Charles Dellheim announced his official resignation of the Directorship of the Kilachand Honors College, effective December 31, 2016.

In the email, Dellheim wrote that he hopes to return to teach in Kilachand in the future.

“Leaving Kilachand will be hard — I am going to miss seeing you regularly,” Dellheim wrote in the email. “My departure from Kilachand Hall, however, will not make my commitment to this College and its members wane or waver.”

Dellheim told The Daily Free Press he has many reasons for resigning, including the desire to continue work on his book.

“I have a variety of reasons for stepping down and I’m particularly eager to finish a book project that I’ve been working on for many years,” Dellheim said. “The college has been an all-consuming pursuit, and I have loved the opportunity to lead the College and enormously valued the chance to work with so many great students and faculty in a small setting, but it mas made it harder for me to work.”

Dellheim, who is the founding director of KHC, wrote in the email how grateful he has been for the experience of the directorship.

“Nothing in my years as a professors has been as exciting, gratifying, and difficult as the process of building this College,” Dellheim wrote in the email. “I have been remarkably fortunate to have worked from the start with so many wonderful students: watching them develop form the time we met at Open House or Orientation to the time they graduate has meant more to me than I can say.”

Dellheim will teach a sophomore course in KHC in the fall and will welcome the incoming Class of 2020 before taking his leave in January of 2017, according to the email.

Correction: An earlier version of this brief misspelled “Chandan” in “Arvind and Chandan Nandlal Kilachand Honors College.” The version above reflects this change.